• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Egr delete?

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What would I need to do to delete the egr and keep my 2.3 running right? I have had 2 go out on me in 2 years.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ooo, that's usually a controversial question on auto forums. I was just checking how much one would cost in an auto parts store in Washington. If your truck is used as a "daily driver and occasional wheeling" vehicle, would it be easier to just change it out or try to find a way around an inspection?

It seems far more trouble to try an egr delete and keep it running well. But you'll get better responses I'm sure.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Leave it on there and fix it. It does a lot more than you think. There is probably another issue causing it to keep going out on ya.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good. Just tired of it getting blocked open. Never had an issue with it till a combo of running the tank dry and blowing a trimming belt.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.focushacks.com/mod/DPFE_Sensor_and_EGR_Information

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90610

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133004

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/f10/egr-bypass-269192.html

I have a good link for a simulated circuit in place of the DPFE, but it's bookmarked on my home computer. I'll try to remember to add that link to this post. Here it is: http://www.hotrodhigh.ca/EGR.html

I go back and forth, whether I have my EGR functional or not. With the Scangage II hooked up, it's simple for me to reset the CEL. Mine can take up to a couple weeks to set the P0401 code with the valve disconnected for around town driving. Sometimes on a long trip, I'll hook it up for a couple of tanks until I get disgusted with the jerking / trailer-hitching at steady speeds.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
an '86 won't have a code for it... no DPFE or EGR position sensor... When one of the ears on my EGR on my turbo engine broke off I just made a block off plate and sandwiched it between the intake and valve. I'm probably going to make it functional when I rebuild the engine though since I have another valve... just a super PITA to change with the engine in...

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
an '86 won't have a code for it... no DPFE or EGR position sensor... When one of the ears on my EGR on my turbo engine broke off I just made a block off plate and sandwiched it between the intake and valve. I'm probably going to make it functional when I rebuild the engine though since I have another valve... just a super PITA to change with the engine in...
What did you use to make the block off plate? and how does it run with it blocked?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just used a piece of steel strap (1/16" I think) with two holes in it... When I did the turbo swap I never had the EGR functioning as I didn't get the controller with the engine and didn't know how it was supposed to be hooked up, so it didn't change how it ran, I only put the plate in because the valve broke. Using how my engine ran as a reference isn't the best idea anyway because of how many things that weren't right on it, I'm trying to fix that now, hopefully get the engine pulled tonight.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Chit canned mine on d 87

used a lifter valley plug the opening runs cooler more power and more mpg.We don't have smog testing in Il.

logman7777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get a EGR gasket from a parts store and trace it on a piece of metal (anything flat without ridges, doubled up beer cans are a cheap way to go..lol) but be sure to NOT install it between your original gasket and the EGR valve since it will make your truck run better and get more MPG's and make your vehicle illegal since it produces more Oxides of Nitrogen or make the EPA mad at you.:icon_twisted::icon_surprised:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
used a lifter valley plug the opening runs cooler more power and more mpg.We don't have smog testing in Il.

Get a EGR gasket from a parts store and trace it on a piece of metal (anything flat without ridges, doubled up beer cans are a cheap way to go..lol) but be sure to NOT install it between your original gasket and the EGR valve since it will make your truck run better and get more MPG's and make your vehicle illegal since it produces more Oxides of Nitrogen or make the EPA mad at you.:icon_twisted::icon_surprised:
I, being a Mo state inspector, would never know the block off was done, seeing as how the valve is still there. Here there are no emissions tests, just as long as all the components are there and intact. Basically, what I'm saying is I can't fail a hollowed converter, or a EGR with a plated gasket...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i finally made a plate to and picked up a new egr gasket. The truck no longer has that trailerjerk feel in the first 20 miles and i have noticed a little bit more power. now to find a used header and fix my exhoust system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals