• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR Valve how to remove ?

ddsmith1958

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone Hope you all had a great Christmas and have a happy New Year.
I have a 97 ranger 4x4 splash with the 4.0 v6 and I want to remove the EGR valve to clean it but the metal tube nut wont budge does anyone have any ideas on how to get it off witout breaking something.
The check engine code says it my EGR valve and i have been told i can clean it and it would be fine.
Thanks for your help

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There are 4 or 5 different things that can set various EGR codes. Cleaning it is guessing. However, it IS cheap PROVIDED you don't break it.

You can try some Kroil on the nut.

ddsmith1958

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
egr

Thank you for the info.
if there is anything else you can recomend for me to check and what i should do would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you again

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You're in the same boat as I was a few days ago.

I twisted my EGR tube like a drinking straw when I finally got the threads to come loose; it was also seized to the tube at the flare big time.

Now I have a new EGR tube on special order. Yay for me. Good luck to you; I tried penetrating oil, heat, vibration, etc etc. Mind you, mine has almost 300,000KM on it; most of the fasteners are pretty rusted.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
kroil and PBblaster are the S__t.

everything else might as well be water.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Kroil is the s__t, PB is almost the s__t:icon_thumby:

frank-id

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ford Range
Transmission
Automatic
Freeing frozen or rusty connections

Using penetrating oil is the first method to try. Next is to use a couple hammers at opposite sides of the large nut. Hold one hammer hear against one side while striking the other opposite flat. Use 2 wrenches when attempting to loosen nut. One wrench on the egr body and the other wrench on the fitting. After getting wrenches into position, first try to tighten the fitting, just a little. Many times the fitting will then loosen. The last method is using a small propane torch. Lay water soaked towels all over and near the fitting to be loosened. Use wire and clamps to hold towels in place. Have small spray bottle with water and spray towels. Using torch, begin to heat the fitting around the nut evenly. Nut does not need to be red hot. Remove heat and try to tighten then loosen nut. Patience will be required. The nut will loosen, then cool with water spray. As there are many plastic parts near, keep the parts wet and cool. Frank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals