• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine brake in 1st

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
98 3L auto trans. When I drop it in to 1 I have zero engine braking, almost as if it is in N. it accelerates and drives in 1 but once u let ur foot off the gas it drops to an idle rpm and has no compression to slow me down. Not the torque converter because you can do all of this from a dead stop and you get the same results. Any opinions and information on what I need to do to get it back to working is appreciated.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Check your transmission fluid lately?

I've never actually used an Automatic for that...I do it all the time in my 5 speed...but mostly to jump start it when it dies...

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check your transmission fluid lately?

I've never actually used an Automatic for that...I do it all the time in my 5 speed...but mostly to jump start it when it dies...
i think he means how when you get going and say..get to like 25 in first gear and left off the gas, it doesn't slowly rev down.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like a blown valvebody gasket

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
sounds like a blown valvebody gasket
Not really. A blow valve body gasket would cause a myraid other problems that are not present up to and possibly including total loss of transmission operation.

Sounds more like a toasty coast clutch.

Right from the shop manual.
The coast clutch is hydraulically applied when the transmission is in 2nd and 1st position.

When applied, the coast clutch locks the input shaft to the front planetary carrier, thus preventing the one-way clutch from overrunning when the vehicle is coasting.

This allows the use of engine compression to help slow the vehicle and provide engine braking.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
TSB
03-22-10

• TRANSMISSION - 4R44E - 4R55E - 5R44E - 5R55E - LOW LINE PRESSURE READING AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE (WOT) - POSSIBLE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0732, P0733, P1762 - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 12/1/2001

Publication Date: October 31, 2003
FORD:
1995-2001 EXPLORER
1995-2002 RANGER
1996-1997 AEROSTAR
1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER
2000-2002 EXPLORER SPORT
2001-2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
This article supersedes TSB's 03-11-9, 02-13-8 and 02-08-2 to update the model coverage.
ISSUE:

Some vehicles built prior to 12/1/2001 may exhibit the following shift and engagement conditions:

• No 2nd Gear
  • No 3rd Gear
  • No Engine Braking In Manual 1st.
Out of specification pressures controlled by the transmission main control valve body separator plate may be the cause. ACTION:

Verify the condition, the main control valve body separator plate may need to be updated to the latest level. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION: A NEW SEPARATOR 7Z490 MUST BE USED WHEN INSTALLING THE SPECIAL SERVICE KIT 7M203 OR ADDITIONAL TRANSMISSION DAMAGE MAY OCCUR. REFER TO THE PARTS APPLICATION CHART IN THIS ARTICLE FOR CORRECT SEPARATOR PLATE PART LISTING.

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS THAT MAY CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND IS ONLY WRITTEN TO COVER THESE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

NOTE: AN IN-LINE SERVICE FILTER IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE ADDED OR REPLACED FOR THIS TSB.

1. Verify that one or more of the following conditions exist.
    • Low Line Pressure While In Drive At WOT
    • No 2nd And/Or No 3rd Gear
    • No Engine Braking In Manual 1st
    • DTC P0732, P0733 Or P1762
  2. Install Kit (3L5Z-7M203-JA) to update the main control valve body assembly, refer to the installation procedures found in the kit.
  3. Reinstall the main control by continuing to follow the installation steps listed in the Workshop Manual, in-vehicle service, main control valve body.
  4. After completing the procedure, verify the condition has been corrected.
  5. Clear all DTCs.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
TSB
03-22-10

• TRANSMISSION - 4R44E - 4R55E - 5R44E - 5R55E - LOW LINE PRESSURE READING AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE (WOT) - POSSIBLE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0732, P0733, P1762 - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 12/1/2001

Publication Date: October 31, 2003
FORD:
1995-2001 EXPLORER
1995-2002 RANGER
1996-1997 AEROSTAR
1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER
2000-2002 EXPLORER SPORT
2001-2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
This article supersedes TSB's 03-11-9, 02-13-8 and 02-08-2 to update the model coverage.
ISSUE:

Some vehicles built prior to 12/1/2001 may exhibit the following shift and engagement conditions:

• No 2nd Gear
  • No 3rd Gear
  • No Engine Braking In Manual 1st.
Out of specification pressures controlled by the transmission main control valve body separator plate may be the cause. ACTION:

Verify the condition, the main control valve body separator plate may need to be updated to the latest level. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION: A NEW SEPARATOR 7Z490 MUST BE USED WHEN INSTALLING THE SPECIAL SERVICE KIT 7M203 OR ADDITIONAL TRANSMISSION DAMAGE MAY OCCUR. REFER TO THE PARTS APPLICATION CHART IN THIS ARTICLE FOR CORRECT SEPARATOR PLATE PART LISTING.

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS THAT MAY CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND IS ONLY WRITTEN TO COVER THESE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

NOTE: AN IN-LINE SERVICE FILTER IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE ADDED OR REPLACED FOR THIS TSB.

1. Verify that one or more of the following conditions exist.
    • Low Line Pressure While In Drive At WOT
    • No 2nd And/Or No 3rd Gear
    • No Engine Braking In Manual 1st
    • DTC P0732, P0733 Or P1762
  2. Install Kit (3L5Z-7M203-JA) to update the main control valve body assembly, refer to the installation procedures found in the kit.
  3. Reinstall the main control by continuing to follow the installation steps listed in the Workshop Manual, in-vehicle service, main control valve body.
  4. After completing the procedure, verify the condition has been corrected.
  5. Clear all DTCs.
Fine, if you are going to go running OASIS at 10 PM you can win. I'm too lazy to sort through all those TSBs this late at night.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
How fast are you going when you do it? Not sure when this feature was added, but I know for sure on newer trannys if you drop it into first going to fast it just won't go, the computer stops it.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How fast are you going when you do it? Not sure when this feature was added, but I know for sure on newer trannys if you drop it into first going to fast it just won't go, the computer stops it.
No I mentioned it does the same thing whether you start at 0 or at 25 mph. I really think it's the coast clutch. Not gonna lie when I was high centered over a tree branch my pop was revving it way to high in 1st gear and 4lo and I thought I heard what sounded like a twig snapping. Kinda like a differential snap. Diff was fine because I took the cover off no shavings or broken teeth. Can the coast clutch break and make such a noise? BTW my engine braking works perfect in 2nd this problem is only in 1

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So where is this coast clutch? any idea on cost to replace?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The coast clutch is internal to the trans.

There are a few things you can do to test various aspects of the transmission's operation.

First get up to about 35 to 40 MPH and drop the trans into manual low (1st). It will shift into 2nd gear and stay there until it gets below 30 MPH. If you don't get engine braking while it's still in 2nd, that tells us something.

Next, get up to about 55 and hit the OD cancel. If you get engine braking right away, we know the coast clutch is working.

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The coast clutch is internal to the trans.

There are a few things you can do to test various aspects of the transmission's operation.

First get up to about 35 to 40 MPH and drop the trans into manual low (1st). It will shift into 2nd gear and stay there until it gets below 30 MPH. If you don't get engine braking while it's still in 2nd, that tells us something.

Next, get up to about 55 and hit the OD cancel. If you get engine braking right away, we know the coast clutch is working.
Engine braking works fine in 2nd or D w/ OD OFF it's strictly 1st :sad:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals