• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine mis firing at idle

bradical

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
anyone familiar with the 2.9L 88 ranger v-6? its got 220000k on it. when i start it lately it doesnt run smooth, like it is skipping. it does ok once you are driving it. doesnt seem to matter hot or cold start. replaced the O2 sensor yesterday, that didnt cure it. has relatilvely new(1 yr old)plugs and even newer wires. any suggestions would be helpful. check engine light is not on. not many machanics want to deal with something this old. thanks in advance, brad

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

ruppy22000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Change the plugs. I have had plugs crap out on me in 3 months, time doesn't matter with them (in my truck anyway).

bradical

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
throttle pos sensor. ive heard this term before. i have no idea what it does, but it looks like an inexpensive treatment. every now and then, now less frequent than before, ill adjust the idle screw on the TPS bc it will occasionally want to knock off at idle. someone told me not too long ago not to be doing that. the exhaust also gets too smelling a bit different, not full time though. it has a slow oil/coolant leak at the front of the engine, to the tune of about 1 qt every 1000-1500 miles. i plan to fix that in the near fututre. its "only" got 220000 on it like i said, so i feel that ive been fortunite.
i may try the plug thing too, i had to replace the wires not too far back b/c it was definately missing at highway speed, so i got to pulling wires off with it running, and isolated the one that didnt make it run different then replaced it temporarily, then the whole set.

thanks for your advice, any further will be appreciated as well

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
does it sound like the lifters (quick ticking) or do the rpms fluctuate at idle? could be a bad plug like ruppy said

if you pull the plugs check the compression on each cylinder with a compression tester. it gives you a pretty good idea off whats going on with your engine. if one cylinder shows 20% less compression than the rest id suspect a cracked head near that cylinder.
some other signs of a cracked head or blown head gasket are coolant smell in the exhaust, "snot" under oil cap after driving a while, milky or sudsy looking oil.

and with 220k on it and no major problems yet sounds like someone actually took care of their truck! it would probably go another 100k even if you didnt fix anything

bradical

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well thank you. it is my first car, bought it used in 93. i have babied it, but at the same time used it like a dumb teenage redneck boy does. anyway, i got to work today, stared pulling wires, and the same plug isnt firing again. gonna get on that first thing in the morning. thanks for the help guys. will try to check back later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals