• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust recommendations needed

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, my son has a 2003 4x4 Ranger extended cab with those mini seats and 6 foot bed. It has a 4.0 in it. I would like to buy him a Flowmaster type catback exhaust kit for him to put on it as a surprise birthday gift. I bought a whole catback setup for my 1993 a few years back but I don't see any applications for this truck. Should I buy the muffler and just get the pipes from an auto parts store? If so can anybody tell me what I need to get? Like clamps, diameter pipes etc...? I rather buy him a whole kit if Flowmaster or the equivalent parts are made by any other manufacturer. Thanks a bundle.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
truthfully, theres really no reason to replace the tailpipe after the muffler unless its rusted through. the sound from aftermarket exhaust systems comes from the muffler, not that pipe. i would just get him a muffler and clamp it in place of the factory one. if he wants a shiney exhaust tip, you can get ones that clamp onto the factory tip.

if you want a tailpipe too, i dont think flowmaster makes one for that year ranger, but i know gibson has several options (including split dual exhaust), and magnaflow also has a few choices.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I disagree WS, while the overall sound comes from the muffler, the pipe effects how deep it is, I much prefer the sound of 2 1/2" over the stock 2". Had a coworker get a flowmaster put on her 02 4.0 ranger with all stock pipe and it sounded like ass to me, same as my buddies b2 with the same exact exhaust as me except in 2". Get an exhaust shop to make a tailpipe, should cost $30-40.

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
truthfully, theres really no reason to replace the tailpipe after the muffler unless its rusted through. the sound from aftermarket exhaust systems comes from the muffler, not that pipe. i would just get him a muffler and clamp it in place of the factory one. if he wants a shiney exhaust tip, you can get ones that clamp onto the factory tip.

if you want a tailpipe too, i dont think flowmaster makes one for that year ranger, but i know gibson has several options (including split dual exhaust), and magnaflow also has a few choices.
All the pipes are looking like they need replacing too.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
I have found if you do some shoping around at the mom and pop exaust shops you can beat the "cat back" kit prices.

bmacsys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have found if you do some shoping around at the mom and pop exaust shops you can beat the "cat back" kit prices.
Thanks for helping me out all!

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
do have axcess to a mig and an auto zone

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
k well auto zone sells secions of bent tubing and secions of stright get a hold of the muffler you got and sence all the bends are slip on mock it up any way you like then tack it together then remove it and lay a bead :icon_welder: i did ny full exaust in steele 2 and a quter inck foe less than 30 just the steel ill try to get some pix for ya asap:drool: if you were closer id help

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i HIGHLY reccomend against going this route. my first exhaust setup used pre-bent peices of tubing from the parts store. that pre-bent stuff is LOW quality, i got about a year out of it before it rusted through and began to leak. eventually i lost an entire section of pipe while driving home from work one day.

i learned my lesson about thin-walled, steel pipe. go thick wall aluminized and save yourself from having to fight with it again in a year.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that depends on where you live here in the dez there id no such thing as rust also i had to get a pice o tube bent in a pinch so i went to a shop and got the same wall thickness but in tead o 4.70 it was 8.00 so go figure

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals