• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer 8.8 gear question

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if mustang 8.8 4.10s would work in an explorer 8.8 that has 3.55 gears currently
also what does everyone think a fair price would be to have gears set up on an axle thats not under a truck?

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the gears will work. Gear sets for the 8.8 are not dependant on the spline count at all. However, you will most likely need to shave a little off of the gears in order to get the cross pin installed (I had to with a set of 4.56's). This won't hurt it at all.

As for the cost of the setup: it will depend on who's doing it, what all is being done (ie, just gears...or complete axle bearings/seals etc), and how fast you want it done. I can setup the gears in an 8.8 fairly easily, but when it came to my D44, I dropped it off with a local shop, still cost way more than I wanted to spend, but it's guaranteed setup. Some places will charge you what the book value is, while some will give you a break as the axle can be put on the bench.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks t bird, yea ive been running 3.73s with 31's which wasnt bad when i had my old 5-spd ranger but this one with the a4ld isnt exactly fast and id hope to get a lil better gas mileage. i have a guy who said he would do it (certified mechanic with an at home garage) i would only want the carrier bearings and pinion bearing changed when its done. the rest ill do myself. if i can get this done then ill just have to find a 4.10 front pig

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
However, you will most likely need to shave a little off of the gears in order to get the cross pin installed (I had to with a set of 4.56's)
Negative, the ring gear doesn't block the cross-pin on the 8.8 until 4.56 and up. On the 7.5 it's 3.73 and up.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You should leanr to set your diff shims yourself, it will cost nothing and give you a lifetime edge over alot of others. Not to mention mechanics rip you off anymore.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea id really like to learn how to myself, i have no garage though and limited usage of my friends places. what sort of calipers do i need to set up gears?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just read online about setting up gears, backlash and etc. Theres alot of stuff on there, especially in our Tech Library. Start a new thread about how to set up new gears, we have a ton of knowledge floating around in the heads of members here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals