• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer upgrades

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I got the rear axle installed. The 117 final crawl is off the wall. The on-road gearing is nice now too, feels like I just turbo-charged the engine. I need to run brake lines to the back, and install the 3rd member up front.

I've got 35s coming, as well as a dual core radiator with a hi-performance e-fan and thermostat. I'm also going to fab up some linkage to shift my t-case from the cab.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
You just have to show me up dont ya. I went 111:1 now you are at 117:1.

Good to hear you got it in. Get that bitch up here for alumni run!!!!!!!!!

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You just have to show me up dont ya. I went 111:1 now you are at 117:1.

Good to hear you got it in. Get that bitch up here for alumni run!!!!!!!!!

That's the plan.

It's damn nice not to have to burn the clutch to start out in high range. I'd actually prefer 4.88s or 4.56s. The 5.13s are too deep for driving on the road. Last night when I tested it out I was going about 45 and the RPMs were already over 2000 in 5th. I only got 5.13s because I got an awesome deal on the front.

And don't worry, it'll only be a matter of time before you go to a tripler or 305/NP435/NP203/NP205 and leave me in the dust. :)

EDIT: I mean, I'll leave you in the dust.

Last edited:

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's the plan.

It's damn nice not to have to burn the clutch to start out in high range. I'd actually prefer 4.88s or 4.56s. The 5.13s are too deep for driving on the road. Last night when I tested it out I was going about 45 and the RPMs were already over 2000 in 5th. I only got 5.13s because I got an awesome deal on the front.

And don't worry, it'll only be a matter of time before you go to a tripler or 305/NP435/NP203/NP205 and leave me in the dust. :)

EDIT: I mean, I'll leave you in the dust.
EDIT(again) leave todd in the rocks, or mud

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd actually prefer 4.88s or 4.56s. The 5.13s are too deep for driving on the road. Last night when I tested it out I was going about 45 and the RPMs were already over 2000 in 5th. I only got 5.13s because I got an awesome deal on the front.
Sounds like 35's aren't gonna be big enough, time for 38's :icon_rofl:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Got a lot done this weekend. I replaced the bad pinion input bearing on the D35 5.13 lockrite case. I used the bearing from my old case. When I was removing the pinion nut on the old case I had the carrier blocked with a socket so the gears didn't turn. All of the sudden...CRACK! I looked and the D35 housing had split down the middle, in true aluminum fashion. Glad I didn't try that on the new one. Got the bearing in, and got the front back together, so now I'm running 5.13s with a Lockrite in the front.

Next I went to run lines to the back and connect the rear discs. That turned into a real can of worms. Tons of rusted fittings, etc. Ran a new line to the rear, replaced the master cylinder, new driver side front line and hose, new passenger side caliper (due to a stripped out bleeder hole), and I already had new rotors in the rear.

So now I'm running 5.13s and a Lockrite front, with 4-wheel discs. Next on the list is a radiator upgrade, No-slip in the rear, and the new tires.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Just got a Lockrite for the rear. I decided to go with a Lockrite rather than a No-slip as the Explorer isn't my main DD and I don't mind a little racheting. If I could DD a welded rear for over a year I think I can handle a Lockrite. :)

Putting the 35s on is on hold right now until I find out if they're legal in WI.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I have ordered a set of 4.5" Jeep coils for the front. I'll be replacing the F-150 coils with those. I'll be adding a swaybar as the Jeep coils should be much softer. Of course, I'll rig up a quick disconnect so I can disconnect the bar on the trail. Still waiting on the rear locker.

Today I swapped in a new 2-core aluminum radiator, along with new hoses. I got rid of my e-fan and went to a new mechanical fan. My cooling problems should be over.

I also gave the Ex some love, with some standard maintenance. This included new platinum plugs, cleaned IAC and MAF, and a new air filter. And man, my old filter was dirty after just 2 years of wheelin.

I have a question. I have about 1.5" between the radiator and fan. Do I need a shroud? If so I can probably pick one up at the yard...

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
ldeal cooling you need a shroud (will also keep the splash down when mud/water hits the fan). Idealy if you look from the side at the fan you want half the thickness of the fan blade showing and the other half inside the shroud

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice,i just picked my 8.8/D35 and cant wait untill its in, is the rust on your leafs from the salt on the roads over there?

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
nice,i just picked my 8.8/D35 and cant wait untill its in, is the rust on your leafs from the salt on the roads over there?

I'm sure it is, but it's only surface rust. ;)

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya its no big deal, i live in washington so you dont see that, thats crazy. hope to see the fineshed project.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
You got the 35's yet?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just got a Lockrite for the rear. I decided to go with a Lockrite rather than a No-slip as the Explorer isn't my main DD and I don't mind a little racheting. If I could DD a welded rear for over a year I think I can handle a Lockrite. :)

Putting the 35s on is on hold right now until I find out if they're legal in WI.

if i can pass state stability tests in NJ, which has by far the strictest lift laws in the country on 35's i see no reason u would have any problems

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Don't have the 35s on yet. I'm waiting to swap on the Jeep hubs, and modify my locknut washer so the wheel bearings don't come loose. Want the sway bar mounted before I go to those too. Tonight I'll be fabbing up a radiator shroud and installing the Jeep coils up front. I should have the locker in the rear by the weekend. Also hope to finally fab up some linkage to my t-case as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals