• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

extcab rear bench seat???

92880mj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/04
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok i dont know if this has been done or talked about... i always liked the rear bench in the dakotas so why cant i make one for my ranger i have kids and i hate the flip seats... ill measure everything tonight and draw everything up and see what i come up with.... please share your ideas if you have any thanks... i may go to the mall (junk yard) lol tomorrow and see if the dakota seat would work...

mconn116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know how big the back of a dakota is but i know its pretty tight in the back of the rangers, atleast when you consider putting a rear seat in... I would imagine it COULD be made to work to put a small bench seat back there but the front seats would have to be pretty far forward to make it work out

92880mj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/04
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i know its tight back there but it will seat kids...

Dragonclaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My kids barely had room enough in my extended cab 2003 F150 so i doubt it would be to nice in a ranger.

92880mj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/04
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i sait in the back seat of a of f150 and i had room...you must have tall kids lol

elnakman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, so did you follow your plan for the rear bench. I also have a 94 extended cab, and I'm searching for a bench so my kids can sit.

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know how big the back of a dakota is but i know its pretty tight in the back of the rangers, atleast when you consider putting a rear seat in... I would imagine it COULD be made to work to put a small bench seat back there but the front seats would have to be pretty far forward to make it work out
Dont waste your time, thats all I have to say. I've done this....look for an old thread user name beyonder ( forgot the pswd for my old account ). I used 1in square tubing, this worked good for my kids ( i only had 2 at the time ) to face forward, HOWEVER my oldest at the time was only 2 going on 3. Her legs were squished and she was not happy... I did this in a 90 ext cab ranger, I was warned about room or lack there of, but I did it anyways because i was driving from fort nelson to fort saint john and didn't like the idea of an accident in the winter with the kids sitting sideways.

The ONLY way I see this happening for you is with modifying your cab, you could literally sit the seats on the floor, but add a pan to the back of the cab to recess the seats 3 - 4 inches out. Even still with this, it may last you until your kids hit 4 or 5 yrs old...
A dodge dakota cab is also 6 or 7 inches longer than the ranger cab ( 95 model I'm refering to ).

Now I have 5 kids, and an explorer...lol, 3rd row seating is the best...

just speaking from my experience though...:icon_cheers:

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dont waste your time, thats all I have to say. I've done this....look for an old thread user name beyonder ( forgot the pswd for my old account ). I used 1in square tubing, this worked good for my kids ( i only had 2 at the time ) to face forward, HOWEVER my oldest at the time was only 2 going on 3. Her legs were squished and she was not happy... I did this in a 90 ext cab ranger, I was warned about room or lack there of, but I did it anyways because i was driving from fort nelson to fort saint john and didn't like the idea of an accident in the winter with the kids sitting sideways.

The ONLY way I see this happening for you is with modifying your cab, you could literally sit the seats on the floor, but add a pan to the back of the cab to recess the seats 3 - 4 inches out. Even still with this, it may last you until your kids hit 4 or 5 yrs old...
A dodge dakota cab is also 6 or 7 inches longer than the ranger cab ( 95 model I'm refering to ).

Now I have 5 kids, and an explorer...lol, 3rd row seating is the best...

just speaking from my experience though...:icon_cheers:
:icon_surprised: Thats where :hottubfun: will lead you :icon_rofl:

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i always hated the flip down seats so i said screw it and put 6x9s in them instead. gotta get pics of them yet but they look good there and sound good.

badkitty3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
rear seat for ranger

we just acquired our first truck ever (well baby truck) the 94 super cab 4x4 xlt. We don't have human kids but do have 4 small dogs who are accustomed to riding in the back of our '12 Taurus SEL or my '07 modified GT mustang both with the back seats folded flat (and covered of course with a generous blanket). They are not the least bit fond of riding on the floor of this ranger so just tonight I found a 38" wide x 13" high x 15" deep cushioned bench with 4 wood feet. I put the two back 'feet' on that lip or ledge in the back and I put a plastic bed riser on the two front feet and voila~, it's as snug as a bug and the front seats will travel all the way back and threw a nice blanket on top of it and the dogs are right behind us and can see perfectly out the side windows.
there is no play (movement) in the bench and it's really comfy for them.
But I'm interested if anyone has built a rear bench and if so how. thx

badkitty3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
super cabs

Oh also, What is /was the purpose of the super cab? It's too small for any adult to get back there and it takes precious room out of the main cab area, I just see no real purpose for it especially w/o back doors.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Extra storage and room for a dog

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh also, What is /was the purpose of the super cab? It's too small for any adult to get back there and it takes precious room out of the main cab area, I just see no real purpose for it especially w/o back doors.
Extra storage and room for a dog

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
That.

My ranger came from the factory without jump seats. Instead I have two extra "gloveboxes" on each side, one of which I cut the bottom out of to increase storage. You'd be amazed at what fits back there..

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love my ext cabs, even better with the four doors.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals