• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extending Comcast wireless network

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Yesterday I got Comcast Blast cable internet, and had the modem/router (Xfinity SMCD3GNV) set up in my office in the basement at the east end of the house. The problem is that I don't get a signal strong enought to connect in the living room at the west end of the house.

I found a little information on Powerline adapters. If I understand correctly, one plugs in to an outlet near the modem with a cable conecting it to the modem. It sends a signal through the wire to another powerline in another part of the house. But then I'd have to hook my laptop up to it with a cable. I want to remain wireless. Could I plug a new router in to the 2nd powerline to broadcast a signal upstairs? Seems like a lot of additional equipment/money to get a good signal upstairs.

Is there a better option? Is it just that the Comcast modem is crappy?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Found (2) range extenders on Best Buy's site that just plugs in an outlet and seems to act like a repeater:

Netgear

Belkin

Reviews are mixed. Some say they're great, some say they don't work or won't stay connected.

Any input??

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you could mount it on the ceiling in the basement it might help, and cost nothing.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Run a cat-5 cable to the other side of the house.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Search the Internet o ways to boost it. There are some write ups on how to make your own range extender.

I've seen a netgear extender used before. It worked pretty decent.

Personally I'd see about moving the router to a more central location or get a better router. What router are you running?

Oh you said lol.. What's the specs on that router? Basically you may need to tell them you want a split unit so you could run a better router. Something like the netgear n600. Dual band and n+ range.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Those range extenders are a handy thing to have but sometimes they can be a pain to get working depending on your setup. You have alot of options though. Me personally, depending on the construction of your house I would consider running cat5 from your router to another router at the other end of the house. Or if it's possible, move the router/modem to a more central location in the house where the signal can spread over the place evenly. You might even be able to get away with buying a better wireless router and plugging it in right there next to the modem/router. If you get one that puts out a stronger signal it might cover the whole house. I'm just a firm believer in hardwiring as much stuff as possible. Having that wireless bridge between the router and extender just doesn't "feel" right to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals