• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

f150 dana 44 axle will it fit under a ranger?

Tyler Brisson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi does anyone know if a 1977 ford f150 dana 44 solid axle fit under a 93 ranger and the axle is 3.50 high pinion complete hub to hub disc brake too so it has been all converted and is sitting under thhe truck still. can anyone help me out? what do i need in order for this to work??

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's been done lots,but it is a lot wider than the ranger.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Wider can be good, depending on what your doing with it.

first off, buy a cooler of beer for your friend(s) helping you! paying them off is a good start!

you will most likely need the radius arms, new radius arm brackets for both ends and possibly some reworking on the coil mounts to relocate them to align with the ranger.
you will need a track bar mount and most likeley modifications to the transmission crossmember and, unless you have 6 inches of lift or more, modifications to the engine crossmember also (the new axle can and will hit).

new steering linkage is a must and you now (most likely) have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern up front. you can buy new wheels for the front but it's a pain as the ranger/explorer has a 5 on 4.5 pattern. wheel adapters may come in handy to make all bolt patterns the same.

it is ALOT of work but very nice in the end.

Tyler Brisson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i found this axle on craigslist and the guy said i could have the radiuos arms and all the steering stuff along with the axle for $250. do you think it would be costly to get it under my ranger and i think someone said i needed a lift too??

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/1841704174.html

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i am concerned about what vehicle it was coming out of, but it's not too much trouble to get it under your ranger. would most likely take a friend, and some welding, but it's a day or two to get it under.

not sure on the price to get it under there though, as alot can go wrong.....

it looks like a Y steeering linkage not from a ranger, which is.....a nightmare really.

If your not doing any offroading, then you may wanna keep what you have in the front but grab it and resell it! you could easily double or even triple your money if you cleaned it up a bit (looks a little rough!)

this really depends on how much money your looking to throw at it. for the price you may wanna pick it up to have and work on, and start saving for the other parts....
crossover steering linkage, trackbar and mounts, possibly new coils (depending on what vehickle this came out of), a regear, and possibly a locker. there are a few good posts in the tech section on what you may need to get or do for it to go under your ranger.

nate09

Reaction score
check out the extreme suspension section, it will be a better place to get answers.

Tyler Brisson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what would be the easist and cheapest way to get rid of the ttb axle and put a solid one under? iv heard the dana 44 out of bronco are good but would you have to cut them at all? and would it be costly im on a budget ??

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so your really not not really getting it from the posts. A SAS is NOT cheap. I'll put together a list, and if I forget anything, I hope someone else can comment. It's been a year and 1/2 since I did one. You can then go online and get some prices for the parts.
First question is..... Do you have a welder or access to one? You need one for this.
I also wouldn't shorten it, but you can if you want... It's more work.

You will need:
long radius arms
radius arm brackets
custom transmission crossmember
new or move coil mounts
new or move shock mounts
track bar
track bar mount for frame
extended pitman arm
steering linkage
an assortment of grade 8 bolts and nuts

optional is:
new shocks
new coils
brake pads, rotors, calipers
regear
new axle seals (cheap and easy! like me!)
new bearings

you will also need to modify the engine crossmember unless you move the axle forward

Last edited:

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, so your really not not really getting it from the posts. A SAS is NOT cheap.
X2.

I'm over 4 grand and I already had the axle.... Take out the $900 for labor for someone to build everything, (which is a steal to say the least) and I'm sitting at over 3300. This doesnt include the wheels and tires that i added or anything that I did to the rear.

When it comes to building up a truck, always remember this quote:

Money, Time, Skill. If you are lacking in one area, its going to take more of the other two.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
When it comes to building up a truck, always remember this quote:

Money, Time, Skill. If you are lacking in one area, its going to take more of the other two.
back at ya! best quote i've heard in a while!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Sadly unless you have a complete donor vehicle in VERY good shape, it's the little things that will kill your budget.... I'd say I'm well over 5k into my truck since the SAS began, and I'm now in the middle of ditching my EB D44 and going full width!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It's gettin parted to build the new diff, as far as outers/locker goes. The housing is going to a friend for an offroad only project......I bent the inner C's, and they're just beyond alignable so I'm not gonna bother trying to fix it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals