• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

f150 inline six

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, on Craigslist there is a 1990 f150 single cab with a 4.9 and 5 speed transmission. Its 4x4 with a 4 inch lidt and 33 inch tires. He's asking 900 but will entertain best offer. It needs a fuel pump and a rear driveline. I know the 4.9 was a very durable engine and I like that it's got a manual transmission. My question is, if I bought it to fix up how would it compare to my ranger with a 4.0? Do those 4.9s pull better than the 4.0 ohv? I know the numbers are a little higher, but can you feel them on the butt dyno? Also I've read that fuel economy is similar. Thanks.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The 4.9 is a slowpoke. But it'll drag a house at the same speed. Literally.

I've done a little to mine since I got it. Mine had 3.08 gears and the stock 235/75/15s with a 5-speed. I did a good tune-up, started running double platinum plugs and a quality cap and rotor (brass or copper contacts). That helped a bit with performance. Then I went to 31x10.5x15 tires and changed the gear ratios to 3.55 (most autos had 3.55 gears). Summit Racing Flowmaster knock-off muffler.

I kept eating slave cylinders until I finally got mad enough to swap a ZF-5 trans into it. Well worth the cost and effort, that truck is an absolute beast now. I've had over 2 tons in the bed before (not on purpose, mind you) and it pulled just fine. Stopping and steering was a little more sketchy, but it pulled great. And when it's empty and on the flat or downhill, I can start in second gear now.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Perfect, just the guy I am looking for. How dies it compare to the 4.0 v6 in terms of acceleration?

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
U can think of the ole 300 i6 as more of a tractor they had 7 main bearings gear drivin timing and a friend of mine actually got his running g with some parts off a 9n Ford tractor like carb parts but yeah I have had a few they are slow on take off but just all around good running truck engines haul what u want take abuse neglect and won't quit on ya (I have tried)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I feel like I should point out that just about anything can start a ZF5 off in second gear.

My dad's 250 you don't even get the clutch the whole way out before 1st is done.

The 4.9 is by no means a race engine. It doesn't accelerate in the traditional sense. Most of it's towing ability comes from the fact that an I6 engine will always have two cylinders on the power stroke.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, I have no idea how it compares acceleration wise to a 4.0, I've never had one to compare it to yet. I do know that it makes for a nice hauler though.

And unless that guy with the lifted one changed the gear ratios, it's going to be even slower than normal. The 4.9 is a great motor, if you need to do a lot of hauling and pulling. If you're just driving around, then you might want to stick with the 4.0 Ranger.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, I have no idea how it compares acceleration wise to a 4.0, I've never had one to compare it to yet. I do know that it makes for a nice hauler though.

And unless that guy with the lifted one changed the gear ratios, it's going to be even slower than normal. The 4.9 is a great motor, if you need to do a lot of hauling and pulling. If you're just driving around, then you might want to stick with the 4.0 Ranger.
Yeah that's probably what I'll do. I don't do alot of towing, and if I do its just a small trailer with two motorcycles on it which the ranger should handle no problem.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That combo tends to be a very tough set up. Yes no speed demon but several of my friends and family had similar trucks. agree with the previous great towing a reliability

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals