• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

F250 shock tower upgrade

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pulling the trigger on this upgrade.:icon_hornsup: Re-read the how-to again and see it mentions bracing the backside of the coil bucket but no pictures. This is going on my 90 Ranger, with 6" Skyjacker (too stiff) springs and Tuff Country brackets and extended radius arms. I measured for 28" extended length shocks (which should be here today and will be 16" collapsed). Allowing for the nutcracker leverage of the TTB, that SHOULD allow up to 18" or so:drool: of travel (which I will be more than happy with!!!), but expect about 15":D or so.

I was discussing this last night with a friend (already have the towers in hand @ $15.75 each), and we were discussing ways to reinforce and stiffen the back of the bucket and the F250 part when I weld them together.

Just wondering who else has done the swap and what reinforcement has been done. Pics would be nice too. Thanks!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I just welded it to the side of the coil bucket (which I also modified for a taller coil).

More pics here

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, finished this little task up today...

And reinforced the backsides since orignal material was removed. Besides, I like extra support.

I tacked things in place and a friend of mine stopped by to finish weld stuff for me. I haven't welded in years, and just didn't trust my work for suspension stuff. I'll practice more... I'll post pics of my fabbed motor mounts later!!!:yahoo:

Oh, and we got the cab back on the frame today too!!!:woot:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!!!:blush:

I'm dropping 1/2" bolts in the holes of the reinforcing brackets. I chose not to weld the bracing to the frame.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You should put a gusset or plate in there to connect the top part of the coil bucket to the shock mount.

Looks good otherwise (I like those mounts you added on the back) :icon_thumby:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll tell ya, I was wondering about adding some sort of gusset between the bucket and the tower. Not real sure that will be needed at the moment. Now if I intended to go desert truck style, I might add a couple and find someone to do some speed holes everywhere. But the braces on the back were something a friend and I discussed at great length. I felt they needed to be there sinvce we cut so much off the coil bucket. Ford created that shape for a reason... But I think welding the tower to the cut bucket, and the added bracing behind ought to make it stronger than stock. I might change my mind about the gussetting...

And as promised last night, the motor mounts I fabbed are here!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That unsupported section is going to flex slightly as the spring compresses even with just street driving. I could see it cracking right next to the shock mount over time. Speed holes certainly are optional however lol. :icon_thumby:

PL1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice fab work guys! This is kinda what I was asking about in the thread I started. Guess I'll go back and look at the tech library for the how to. Do you happen to have a part# for the shocks you are using. I think this is what I want to do.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice fab work guys!Do you happen to have a part# for the shocks you are using.
I'd suggest doing the mod and then measuring for yourself. Your truck will likely be a different height, and the last thing you want is to be stuck with a truck w/ shocks that are too short/long.

You can order shocks by length. Most manufacturers have application sheets and specs on their websites.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! After measuring, we decided 28" extended length shocks would work. They are 16" collapsed. 12" of shock travel witht eh TTB is almost 18" of travel at the wheel. I do not expect that. But 15" or so is still impressive. Also looking into lowering the factory bumpstops. I hate metal to metal parts contact. And after looking at all this, I will probably be adding a gusset. I see what you were talking about Junkie! I just don't want it to look like an afterthought.

PL1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, Brendan. I didn't know you could order shocks that way. Learn somthing new everytime I come over here.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One nice thing with this mod, since I'm putting in a HP D30, the shocks also line up nicely with these towers. I hope to have pics before this thread is a year old...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That unsupported section is going to flex slightly as the spring compresses even with just street driving. I could see it cracking right next to the shock mount over time. Speed holes certainly are optional however lol. :icon_thumby:
I had mine welded in the exact same way minus the gusset behind the f250 mount. After 2 years of wheeling with that set up the coil bucket tore it self right where that unsupported bit is on the trail. Coil spring was up under the hood, coil bucket was bent to shit, and I was stranded. That was a long day on the trail fixing that. Lets just say it involved heading home, getting a generator, 110v wire feed welder, and grinder. Not fun, definitely brace that part.

I'm now running the f250 towers fully welded to EB coil buckets.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have a pic of it, but I did brace the tower to the bucket. I might look to add more reinforcement later on. When I alter the coil pocket for the small end of the XJ springs, I'll look to adding that extra bracing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals