• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Ford and it's been interesting

94_PurpsRange

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
Pitter-patter, let’s get at ‘er.
I have these posted on another thread too but I threw in some updated ones as well.. she’s a little dirty in these pics sorry lol

I updated my stereo (new speakers coming in tomorrow) and I pulled all the plastics out so I could remove the headliner and repurpose it. So I pulled it out and I am flex sealing the underside of it before I add new backer and material to bring it to life.

The interior on this truck is damn near immaculate. I am going to redo the interior carpet later this year as well.. I’ve kinda done a number to it between my job and always being at a dirty shop haha

Attachments

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
A very clean truck. And yes, the paint is oidized. Well worth restoration if you have time and money.

94_PurpsRange

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
A very clean truck. And yes, the paint is iodized. Well worth restoration if you have time and money.
I haven't decided if i am going to paint it or wrap it.
I would like to re-paint it to the original color the truck was when my grandad purchased it.. the purple was soooo nice.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
its so funny how people worry about covering their license plates but then list the city and state they live in on the forums. you can't just type a license plate into google to find someone. you have to know someone in law enforcement or at the dmv to easily find someone by their plates, otherwise knowing the plate number does zero to make it easy to locate someone.

it is definitely a good looking truck. i would hope to repaint it but i know i still have to fix the dents my son put in my truck last year so don't listen to me

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I would recommend paint. A professional Job will cost more than $10,000. Or you could do it yourself with 2 part 2K epoxy rattle cans. But that's just me. I know I will be helping another friend to restore a GMC this summer.

Those new 2K paints are expensive but go on well, are forgiving, and look as good as showroom with a little practice. Chances are, they will cost less than a wrap.

Last edited:

94_PurpsRange

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
I would recommend paint. A professional Job will cost more than $10,000. Or you could do it yourself with 2 part 2K epoxy rattle cans. But that's just me. I know I will be helping another friend to restore a GMC this summer.

Those new 2K paints are expensive but go on well, are forgiving, and look as good as showroom with a little practice. Chances are, they will cost less than a wrap.
Thanks for the information... I have never rattle canned an entire car before so I could possibly be interested in going that route... I wonder if I would be able to match the factory color?.. hmm I'll have to do some research and see what I could find... I do rattle can jobs in my garage all the time hahah just have never done a car.... and the ones I've seen in the past look kinda shitty... but I am certainly going to check it out.

94_PurpsRange

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
its so funny how people worry about covering their license plates but then list the city and state they live in on the forums. you can't just type a license plate into google to find someone. you have to know someone in law enforcement or at the dmv to easily find someone by their plates, otherwise knowing the plate number does zero to make it easy to locate someone.

it is definitely a good looking truck. I would hope to repaint it but I know I still have to fix the dents my son put in my truck last year so don't listen to me
hahaha you know what I said the same thing to my wife..... she was outside while I was taking pictures and told me to do that.... I didn't give a shit to argue about it so i made the remark "that don't fucking matter on a place that has my location anyways hahah" and did what I was asked like a good little boy hahahah

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've done this before with great success. I would talk it over with somebody who has painted. There is a learning curve. And yes, there are a lot of potential rookie mistakes. Most of them can be fixed by sanding the surface again with 500 grit and making another pass.

On the other hand, I found NAPA to be really helpful. They will accurately mix paint to its original color. Once they have the right formula, you can expect that every can they mix will be consistently the same.

You might want to try on your tail gate first to see how it goes. Sand out drips and dry spots with 500 grit, Try again until it's perfect. Then if you want even better, sand with 1000, then 2,000 then 3000, then 5000 for a real professional finish. If it's not your cup of tea, then forget it. You will not have wasted too much money or time.

If you are pleased, then do another panel. Then another, then another. The spray pattern from a rattle can is small, so it is better not to work larger areas at once. Each panel will go faster. You are sure to pick up speed.

I did an entire Ranger with Rustoleum, the Ranger on the right. I don't recommend Rustoleum. It just doesn't last, but it looks great. This truck was once in very bad shape. It was totalled when the garage around it burned down. The factory paint was ruined. It does not look as good as the professional paint job on my own Ranger. It doesn't even have a clear coat.

Also, note the rear car bumper painted with NAPA gold metallic 2K, not Rustoleum. The paint cost a couple hundred dollars but matched in perfectly. A body and fender shop would have charged at least twice that price.

I'm not sure how many rattle cans you would need, but I wouldn't be surprised it they cost you $1,500-$2,000.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals