• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixing explorer differential swap and pinion angle problem.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Curious, what did you do to correct this? I have a similar situaution with my '96 & Expy 8.8........

I cut them off and welded on new ones.

I still didn't get it right though, looks like I'm going to playing the shim game. I put the diff at -3° from the trans and it still isn't enough.

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've watched some motor trend shows where they do 3 pages of math to figure out pinion angles. Way too much work when an angle finder will tell you.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Ford says 6 degrees.
If you spend some time looking around, there really isn't a solid one-size-fits-all on where to put it. It's all over the map, and varies depending on the use case, suspension, traction, etc...

After reading way too much, I chose 3 degrees down from the transmission. It works properly until about 90mph and then the SHTF.

Some old drag racers are telling me I may need at much as - 15 degrees to be happy under power, or to put on some type of traction bar to limit wrap. I also need to swap my 3.73s out for 3.08s to get the driveshift speed down.

Oh, and the driveshift definitely can contact the underside of the cab, mine has, with a 4" tube.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals