• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flex Fuel

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know why 99's and 00's only came in FF form? Was it a cost cutting measure? I find it funny when people say their 99 or 00 3.0 is a FF, when for those 2 years, all 3.0's were.

Last edited:

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FF was not popular for several reasons:

1. Cost- the FF sensor alone cost $400-600 and used different heads. So they were more expensive engines to start and had more issues.
2. E85 was relatively unknown during this era, because...
3. Gas was $.90 a gallon.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
My dad's knocks like there is no tomorrow. It doesn't seem to matter what he does. It has always been that way.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad's knocks like there is no tomorrow. It doesn't seem to matter what he does. It has always been that way.
There are a couple reasons why a FF 3.0 will ping.
One, it may need the PCM re-flash that was the subject of an NHTSA notice.

Vehicle Make - Model - Model Year(s)
FORDRANGER1998-2000
Service Bulletin No.: 00248
Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING NHTSA ID Number: 616536
Details
0 Associated Documents Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.0L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT SPARK KNOCK (PING) UNDER ACCELERATION. *TT

Two, the EGR DPFE fails and causes pinging. They also are prone to EGR carbon build-up which clogs the EGR passages.

Clearing the CEL will only make the computer "learn" that the bad DPFE signal is supposedly "good".

Pinging is fixable, you just have to zero in on the actual cause.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
who knows I guess. Ford may have be toying with the idea of dropping the 3.0 from the Ranger, also, another interesting thing was that there were no B3000's for 97, but they brought it back for 98.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The reason that 3.0's ping is that they come from the factory with 197* thermostats and run very hot, and they come from the factory with too much timing. Throw in a 180* thermostat (it will still easily pass emissions with a 180* 'stat, and your engine will run better and last longer), which takes care of about 75% of the pinging, and then knock the timing back a degree or two with a tuner, and wallah, no more pinging.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I think that FF engines get a better mpg rating or some such from the govt counting toward the CAFE standard. I remember when I had my '99 FF Ranger and took it to the dealer at 30,000 miles for a new fuel filter (I looked all around and couldn't even find the bastard) they had to order it because it was a new thing and they didn't even have one in stock.
My '99 pinged like crazy on the oxygenated fuel we get here in the summer, despite several trips to the dealer and a computer reflash. The rest of the year it was fine. I gave up and just ran 89 octane in the summer.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think that FF engines get a better mpg rating or some such from the govt counting toward the CAFE standard.
I doubt it, when I looked up the EPA ratings, a gasoline-only 3.0 does a little better on gas than a FF running on gas.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I doubt it, when I looked up the EPA ratings, a gasoline-only 3.0 does a little better on gas than a FF running on gas.
I know that but I recall hearing something about FF vehicles getting extra credits or something.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my '94 is obviously not a FF engine, but it used to ping when going up hills.

the intake manifold gaskets were leaking, and after dismantling the engine, and replacing all the top end gaskets, it was apparent that the tiny coolant holes in the head gaskets were partially plugged.

cleaned out the cooling system spiffy clean, installed all new gaskets, and swapped to a 180' thermostat and all is well. never ever pings now.

another positive note is that i also put in new valve seals, and it also quit burning oil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals