• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flip kit installed-now one corner lower.....

LEMONADE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

I tried the search function- no luck. I am new to this site, but not a total noob. My first lowered truck was in 1990. Since then I have had and dropped at least 10 of them. This is my first IFS Ranger. I installed a set of DJM 3" drop springs on the front and a DJM flip kit on the rear for 5" along with drop shocks and removed the bumpstops all the way around. My truck is the supercab, so I knew the rear would sit a little lower than the front (or at least that is what the directions on the kit said). Fast forward a few hours and I have the truck on the ground with 20's and noticed the driver's side rear is sitting 1" lower than the passenger rear. The front is the same on both sides. So it appears I have a weak spring(?). Should I: a) replace the leaf spring, b) add a leaf, or c) install helper bags to level the whole truck out? Any suggestions?

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Turn the truck around in the driveway.

If that doesn't solve the problem....check air pressure in tires....

OR

add a leaf...cheep fix

OR

Move rear spring bracket down an inch.....cheep fix

OR

add a 1/2" spacer between axlepad & leaf springs....

OR

have leaf-spring re-arched....

OR

replace bad spring.....

but first take measurements to make sure it ain't the bed that's drooping...

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
This sounds like 10y.o.+ ranger lean if your positive your flip brackets are both properly seated on the spring(which i dont doubt they are if youve dropped trucks in the past). My 08 with 4leaf pack, with a near empty tank, will still sit at 33.5" on the driver rear and solid 34" on the passenger rear when its level up front at 31.5" on both sides. It would be worse if i ever put a full tank in it and mine is only 17gal not 20gal like yours probably is. Driver and fuel both hang off the same side and eventually that side settles more then the other.

Rangers can also have bad bed mounts and ford has shim kits to correct it, my 89 would tuck a 30"a/t on the drivers rear with a good inch of fender gap on the passenger side so one of your mounts maybe sagging but it would look crookedly drastic like the back corner of the bed is sinking not just the truck being slightly lower on one side.

ford1ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1979
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine was the same way on my 95 i just replaced the leaf springs

LEMONADE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
"turn the truck around"

That cracked me up and made me choke on my adult beverage:beer::icon_rofl:

tire pressure equal all the way around.

everything is properly seated (even made sure the little hole was toward the front of the truck)

The only add a leaf I have found was good for 1.5-2", haven't been able to locate a .75-1".

I will have to get out and measure the distance from framerail to the ground on each side just to make sure it is the suspension and not bed droop.

Are the passenger side and driver's sider interchangable? If so, I was thinking of just going to the junk yard and getting a passenger side (since that side doesn't support the driver and fuel tank all the time it might be less inclined to sag?).

Not sure a spacer woud work since the leaf spring has been relocated under the axle- wouldn't that just lower it whatever the thickness of the spacer would be?

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
That cracked me up and made me choke on my adult beverage:beer::icon_rofl: I usually get that response.

tire pressure equal all the way around. good!

everything is properly seated (even made sure the little hole was toward the front of the truck) goood!

The only add a leaf I have found was good for 1.5-2", haven't been able to locate a .75-1". that's why I was leaning toward adding a spacer.

I will have to get out and measure the distance from framerail to the ground on each side just to make sure it is the suspension and not bed droop. goood!

Are the passenger side and driver's sider interchangable? If so, I was thinking of just going to the junk yard and getting a passenger side (since that side doesn't support the driver and fuel tank all the time it might be less inclined to sag?). :icon_confused: sounds like that could work!

Not sure a spacer woud work since the leaf spring has been relocated under the axle- wouldn't that just lower it whatever the thickness of the spacer would be? nowwwww you tell me....and no--it would lower the bumper even more---but I forgot that geometry formula years ago :icon_rofl:

Like the guys said....all kinds of stuff can make it sit stupid....I guess you gotta figure out if you want it level while looking at it...

OR

level while you're driving it wiff a full tank...

Or

level while you're driving it with 3/4's of a tank

OR

(you get the idea)

I gotta go....my meds are calling me....

Last edited:

LEMONADE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey doorgunner....

As a fellow american and veteran.......Thank You for your service. We don't hear that often enough- even from each other.:icon_cheers:

slideways

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
being as your axle is now on top of your springs, yes if you shim the driver side you will lower the bumper further. However, if you shim the passenger side you can bring it down to match the driver side.

jds4racing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i know this wont help you but when u put a flip kit on the rear does it require a shortened drive short on a reg cab short bed i have a 94 lowered down i bought yesterday and it has a bit of a driveline vibration and was wondering if this was it?

LEMONADE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Vibration...

When you installed your flip kit....did you make sure the holes were toward the front of the truck? according to JDM the holes are offset to correct the pinion angle. If the pinion angle is off you will get a vibration. Also, have you checked the condition of your universal joints? Sometimes when lowering, it reveals they were weak (at in my experience it has). Just my .02.....anyone else have suggestions?

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Look under the tonneau cover. See if there's a 150 lb object in there, on the left side.

Check to see that both rear tires are the same size. Sometimes salesmen are stupid.

How much gas is in the tank?

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
as a fellow american and veteran.......thank you for your service. We don't hear that often enough- even from each other.:icon_cheers:
salute!

look under the tonneau cover. See if there's a 150 lb object in there, on the left side. hyenna!

check to see that both rear tires are the same size. Sometimes salesmen are stupid. eggzakly!

how much gas is in the tank? ...been covered already...gooood thinkin though......

LEMONADE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
definately the leafspring...

gas gauge sitting on E and the driver's side is still an inch lower than the passenger side.

did some measurements and it looks like the driver's side leaf spring is sagging.

Dont want to shim the passenger side as the rearend is already sitting lower than the front- this would just make it sit lower- not the look I was going for.

Going to call the local junk yard and see how much a passenger side spring would be.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Seems it would make more sense to replace the drivers side spring if that's the one that's sagging.

You asked if you could use a passenger side spring to replace the drivers side because it'll be less likely to sag due to the driver and the gas tank being on the left side. I don't recall anybody answering that question but if I were you I'd get that answer first. Or just jack that thing up and lay under the truck for a good 10-15 minutes looking back and forth between the two springs checking to see if they're identical.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals