• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fog Lamp Switch

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I installed some Fogs a while back and my current aftermarket switch look horrendous, so I went to the junkyard and bought me a Factory Foglamp Switch. I want to add it to the truck so it can look stock (yes, I have bezel as well). What I need to know is, can this happen? If I remember correctly there were 4 wires coming out of the switch. I can probably Imagine that they are Positive In, Positive Out, Ground, Dimmer. What I need to know is, can the switch be used? If yes, is there any simple instructions on-line? What wires do what? (I don't have the switch with me, so I don't remember the color of the wires.)

I know someone around here has done this, I need help, I guess this and my Check Engine light are my Spring Break Activities, too bad I have no money to go to Florida:bawling: aahhhhhrrrrgggghhhh, there's always next year.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Unlike most aftermarket switches, the 95~06 factory switch must be on the ground side of the relay coil. Otherwise, the lights won't work properly. Here's one way to do it:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Hmmm.....

Ok, so I installed some Fogs a while back and my current aftermarket switch look horrendous, so I went to the junkyard and bought me a Factory Foglamp Switch. I want to add it to the truck so it can look stock (yes, I have bezel as well). What I need to know is, can this happen? If I remember correctly there were 4 wires coming out of the switch. I can probably Imagine that they are Positive In, Positive Out, Ground, Dimmer. What I need to know is, can the switch be used? If yes, is there any simple instructions on-line? What wires do what? (I don't have the switch with me, so I don't remember the color of the wires.)
I know someone around here has done this, I need help, I guess this and my Check Engine light are my Spring Break Activities, too bad I have no money to go to Florida:bawling: aahhhhhrrrrgggghhhh, there's always next year.
==================================================
So you found a 95 Ranger w/factory fog lights?

Is it a seperate switch or part of the headlight switch itself?

Did you happen to rape the pigtail/plug for it also? Hope so, as pigtails aren't available for all switches.

You can go to your local dealership and get a schematic for the switch that will tell you what color wires are for what........FREE!

I roamed around a local boneyard a couple months ago & scrounged a rear windshield wiper switch & harness off a Taurus wagon, same switch as for foglights, just the lighted symbol isn't a light....BWTH!

Post some pics PLEASE!

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I actually got the switch from a 2001+. I got the entire bezel with it as it is a mess trying o drilla hole into my entire bezel.

I will try to do my best to post pictures after I am finished.

I just have one question, Do I really need the relay? I bought a wiring kit from A-zone (pic below) and all it has is a 15 amp fuse. I really don't feel like tapping into wires since I don't know which wires do what. I already tapped into the Radio 12V power to adapt the overhead console, so I don't know what else to tap into. I really don't want to use a relay because of the fact that you need to run more wires.

I know it will be harder without relay since the Factory switch runs through Ground, but if I pull it of, will I have any problems? Or do you just recommend to use a relay?

Attachments

Last edited:

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Use the relay - I did it the wrong way and burnt out my switch. It melted the insides into a glob. With that switch, you will have to find a secure place to mount it that is easy to reach - not always easy on the 95 dash, I should know.
It can be done without a relay, but you will have to run a completely new wiring system JUST for the lights.

Good Luck

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
DITTO on usin the relay!

I actually got the switch from a 2001+. I got the entire bezel with it as it is a mess trying o drilla hole into my entire bezel.
I will try to do my best to post pictures after I am finished.
I just have one question, Do I really need the relay? I bought a wiring kit from A-zone (pic below) and all it has is a 15 amp fuse. I really don't feel like tapping into wires since I don't know which wires do what. I already tapped into the Radio 12V power to adapt the overhead console, so I don't know what else to tap into. I really don't want to use a relay because of the fact that you need to run more wires.
I know it will be harder without relay since the Factory switch runs through Ground, but if I pull it of, will I have any problems? Or do you just recommend to use a relay?
================================================
I too have melted a switch due to not wirin in a relay, the toggle switches are not meant to take the full 12 volts:icon_twisted:.........

The only difference in the wirin is you split the power source wire, put in to post #30 / out from post #87 to lights, in my case post #85 goes to the switch out post, & post #86 is the ground.

Here's a pic of the way mines wired:

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice Diagram . . .

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
no aftermarket wiring needed use the fog button from the junk yard, the wire harness is tucked away behind the bezel, put a relay in and fuse in the stock placement, and on the radd. support is the fog light plugs, cut the connectors off and but connector your lights. well thats what i did on my 97 4x4 and they work great with no wire mess.

Last edited:

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
no aftermarket wiring needed use the fog button from the junk yard, the wire harness is tucked away behind the bezel, put a relay in and fuse in the stock placement, and on the radd. support is the fog light plugs, cut the connectors off and but connector your lights. well thats what i did on my 97 4x4 and they work great with no wire mess.
Not on all Rangers. Well, at least not on mine.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Use the relay - I did it the wrong way and burnt out my switch. It melted the insides into a glob. With that switch, you will have to find a secure place to mount it that is easy to reach - not always easy on the 95 dash, I should know.
It can be done without a relay, but you will have to run a completely new wiring system JUST for the lights.

Good Luck
Ok, well you've convinced me. Last thing I need is a fire. So, any idea of where the parking lamp wire I am supposed to tap in is at? I can probably try the radio, but I already tapped that for the overhead console. Any more tapping can be dangerous I assume? I assume for the dash lights power, I need to tap into another wire that comes from the dimmer?

The wire diagrams are great and all, but my main problem is going to be able to find the correct wires. What wire do you recommend to tap into to trigger the relay? I was thinking of using the 12V Ciggarette Lighter, but I use that to power my laptop, and I know that drinks a lot of power, I don't want to tap into that. Maybe like I said, the Parking lamps? If so, from where can I tap into them?

cpuguy06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
Hope I'm not completely resurrecting a dead thread here but I did the same thing as the poster and I have a few questions. I bought these fogs with the multicolor LED ring around them that is changeable from the switch on the inside. I think the aftermarket switch looked nasty and I really don't care about the LED ring around the lens of the fog. I picked up a factory fog light switch outta a ranger at the junkyard. I managed to get the pigtail with it with the following colored wires on it:
Tan/Orange
Light Blue/Black
Black
Red/Some Dark Color
I first tried hooking it up to switch the keyed ignition source before it hit the aftermarket controller so I could turn the fogs on or off with the factory switch. In the process i fried the aftermarket controller so now I just need to get the factory fog light switch working with these fogs. I followed the wiring diagram mentioned above, however, the relay clicks when the button is pressed, but the little green light on the switch is on all the time and the fogs don't turn on. Any ideas? TIA for readin this long ass post people.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of where the factory switch is/where it hooks up too.

There's unused plugs beside where something ABS related plugged into by the front bumper, and there's a unused plug behind where my radio fits in. I'm wondering if they're for foglights or something unrelated.

Last edited:

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hope I'm not completely resurrecting a dead thread here but I did the same thing as the poster and I have a few questions. I bought these fogs with the multicolor LED ring around them that is changeable from the switch on the inside. I think the aftermarket switch looked nasty and I really don't care about the LED ring around the lens of the fog. I picked up a factory fog light switch outta a ranger at the junkyard. I managed to get the pigtail with it with the following colored wires on it:
Tan/Orange
Light Blue/Black
Black
Red/Some Dark Color
I first tried hooking it up to switch the keyed ignition source before it hit the aftermarket controller so I could turn the fogs on or off with the factory switch. In the process i fried the aftermarket controller so now I just need to get the factory fog light switch working with these fogs. I followed the wiring diagram mentioned above, however, the relay clicks when the button is pressed, but the little green light on the switch is on all the time and the fogs don't turn on. Any ideas? TIA for readin this long ass post people.
When you talk about the green light, is it the one that is supposed to turn on with the rest of the dash lights? Because if it is on all the time, then it is wired wrong. Is your wiring correct? Remember that this switch is operated through the Negative (Ground) side. The only power (+) that you need is for the bright yellow light on the switch and for the dimmer. The black wire is supposed to be Grounded (I hard wired it to the Negative post of batt). The Ligth Blue and Black goes to the Negative side of the Relay.

I would suggest you check your wiring. I have wired my truck, but I have not finished it yet because I haven't bought a relay. Everything is in place ready to be turned on, but all I am missing is a relay. (I would rather get my Check Engine light fixed first)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals