• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

for the Ford Techs..

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Some background first....

This morning my wife was going to work and someone in a large pickup forced her into the curb while getting on the I 69 entrance ramp. maybe after getting large truck his penis was still small and he was preoccupied with finding it, I don't know.. but anyway the car hit the curb pretty good, hard enough to kill the engine. She was able to eventually restart it and drive it home to grab my Buick.

her car is a 2015 Escape, 2.5 duratech, base model. I did a fairly good look at it and drove it this morning after wards. it seems to be fine, no pulling, no shimmy or shake, steering wheel is properly centered. took it up to 80 for about 5 miles on the interstate. Hubcap has a nice divot out of it now, but the rim if it is bent or dented, it is very slight.

The thing that concerns me is the engine shutting off... I am assuming a fuel safety shutoff but it did restart after a few minutes, so do the newer Fords reset themselves? or is there a manual switch like the Ranger has? and if it reset itself, how does it know it isn't going to spray fuel all over a hot exhaust manifold?

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you have comprehensive insurance on it and don't let it warm up in the garage?!

You might check the manual, I know the manual reset systems have reset instructions in the manual.

If it has electric power steering it can mask an alignment issue so don't just go by how it drives

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Well it does have minor alignment issues that Ford pointed out on the last oil change;;; will put the alignment on the front track now... Stil concerned on the engine shutoff thing. *note to check and make sure the insurance was paid this month...
AJ

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think 2012 was last Escape to use inertia switch, maybe the last Ford to use one
So your 2015 would use a Fuel Pump driver module and then use the SRS(seatbelt) module and/or traction control system to turn off the fuel pump power in an accident

So yes if the accident was not that bad then it would just reset itself, with key(button) off and then on, meaning there was a user/driver present.
Not sure what the parameters are for the reset, maybe no reset if airbags are deployed or ???

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did you try cursing at it?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I take it you have never seen the movie Christine(1983)

That pretty much stopped me from cursing at cars :)
That's only Chrysler's... it's perfectly safe to curse at Fords.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Two thoughts:

Stil concerned on the engine shutoff thing.
You can drive it forever and it’ll work perfectly. When you give it back to your wife it’ll cut off again. And then she’ll cut you off. It’s some kind of mechanical emotional force of nature I think.

Back In my married days, when my wife’s car would make a noise or such, we’d swap cars until I figured it out. Well, she also fed the cat. & my garage is a separate building behind the house. & typically I got home after the wife.

Well, during one of these episodes I came home before the wife. When I got to the back door, the cat was sitting there all a glow and full of energy. When he saw me, he slumped down and slithered away. It’s a good thing I’ve got a strong ego and thick skin! Obviously he knew the sound of who’s car was who’s. Point is, feed the cat every now and then too, or they’ll both be mad at you. It’s clearly your fault....

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
You can drive it forever and it’ll work perfectly. When you give it back to your wife it’ll cut off again. And then she’ll cut you off. It’s some kind of mechanical emotional force of nature I think.
oh you aint kidding... true story... back in 2006 we were married a whole year. I had a 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight (great car. a very nice light metalic blue. Wife had a 1994 Dodge Intrepid. both cars had similar miles on them, both were bought at around 58k on the clock. we get married, and right after wards my job goes to Mexico, and I go back to school. the wife's job (she is an accountant) went sideways so she found another accounting/ auditing company in Springfield IL. we had a house near Charleston IL, which was great because after I lost my job I went back to get my Bachelors degree in MIS (management Information systems, or computers for business) so this worked out to we got a cheap apartment in Springfield and I drove the 90 miles to the apartment each weekend, and went to school at EIU in Charleston on the weekdays. so she was in the big city alone during the week. well the Intrepid decided to have a random misfire which I chased for a few weeks and replaced the usual suspects of crank position sensor and cam position sensor and each time it still would random misfire on her. there were other minor issues that bothered her too. Then one day the misfire caused the car to die which scared her to death . so being the good husband that I was I swapped her cars. In the year and a half that I went to EIU (20 minute drive one way each day) that Intrepid drove fine. never misfired but for one time (which it did die from, but started back up) seriously no issues. I honestly think that it was because she babied the car and didn't really drive it hard... I drove that car like it was stolen and beat on it like it owed me money, just to get it to misbehave so I could sort it out...

so in the end I just kept the Intrepid until it was totalled out at almost 200k by a doofus in a round about in 2012. other than when she drove it, that car was rock solid. as I said I beat it to death. nearly sank it in a small stream, drove it back and forth from Indiana to Illinois every other weekend to get my son for visitation after I finished school and got out of that godforsaken hell hole of IL before it imploded.

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals