• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 9 inch?

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright i tore the 7.5 out of my truck and i wanted to put a 8.8 in. Well my friend has a 9 inch he wants to sell to me. He said theres metal shavings in the gear oil. Worked fine and has 3.55s in it. Hes asking 35 bucks, is it worth the effort or should i get a 8.8?

Its from a 82 f150 4x4.

The perches should line up with my leafs correct?

I figure i can toss 5.13s and a spool in it and be good to go?

But on summit i noticed they sell 5.14? Isnt the rule aslong as its close you will be fine? So 5.13 and 5.14 would be fine.

Last edited:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If its out of a F150, probably not. Is it still full width or has it been modified. By the time you get done fabbin on it, youmight as well of went with an 8.8.

Icould be wrong but I thought by 82, Ford had switched the full size over to the 8.8 anyways.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, not even close to being worth it. Go pay $60 at a junkyard and save yourself a few bucks of fab work

Junior88

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
All I saw when I opened the general discussion page was "Ford 9 Inch" and "Dickie" right below it..

:icon_rofl: :shok: :annoyed::icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would run just because of the shavings in the gear oil... they came from somewhere and likely didn't do the bearings any favors either.

Add narrowing it and the question of what axle it really is and there isn't much going for it vs a RBV 8.8.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stay away from it, there is nothing good about it, shavings, full width, and wrong gears. i would walk away

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Just get the 8.8 and don't look back, Bro!! The 9 inch will stick out too far and your truck will get that flying a**hole look to it...lol

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, not even close to being worth it. Go pay $60 at a junkyard and save yourself a few bucks of fab work
60? Hahah rearends at junkyard around here are 350 bucks man.

I would run just because of the shavings in the gear oil... they came from somewhere and likely didn't do the bearings any favors either.

Add narrowing it and the question of what axle it really is and there isn't much going for it vs a RBV 8.8.
Any axle i get is getting rebuilt and regeared so its not like i wouldnt be replacing the culprit.

stay away from it, there is nothing good about it, shavings, full width, and wrong gears. i would walk away
Thing is im putting a full width 44 in the front come of end of summer so i want matching axles.

Just get the 8.8 and don't look back, Bro!! The 9 inch will stick out too far and your truck will get that flying a**hole look to it...lol
9inch wont stick out too far, plus it wont really be my dd this summer and is getting a fw 44 so itd be nice to have matching axles and not run spacers on the 8.8

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
So, in other words your end use is not going to be trying to get gas milage, I take it? That 9 inch is not the answer if you are.

To me, it looks like you are building a trail rig. Is this true? If so, then I would say that that changes things and a 9 inch would most likely be your answer as you would be getting it rebuilt and regeared for your purposes.

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, in other words your end use is not going to be trying to get gas milage, I take it? That 9 inch is not the answer if you are.

To me, it looks like you are building a trail rig. Is this true? If so, then I would say that that changes things and a 9 inch would most likely be your answer as you would be getting it rebuilt and regeared for your purposes.
Yep building up a trail rig and will be driven on the street every now and than, i like the idea of a 9 inch for the fact they are damn strong.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Yep building up a trail rig and will be driven on the street every now and than, i like the idea of a 9 inch for the fact they are damn strong.
You should have mentioned that in the first post.....:icon_confused:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree with ^^^^^

sounds like you already made up your mind on what your doing so why even ask???

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should have mentioned that in the first post.....:icon_confused:
I didnt think of it at the time, i mean street or trail it doesnt make a difference really. I can use a 9 inch for a street truck if i shorten the housing.
i agree with ^^^^^

sounds like you already made up your mind on what your doing so why even ask???
Im just asking if its a decent deal.

And if 5.13 in front and 5.14 in rear is fine and if i should run a spool or locker.

Pretty much asking how id set the 9 inch up to be reliable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals