• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Spring Lock Fittings

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am curious if anyone has retained their stock fuel lines and found some (cheaper) female spring lock fittings to AN? Or other alternative I might look at for using the stock fuel lines? Retaining the EFI setup even though I am running carb, will be EFI at some point and don't want to wreck what's there. I also would like it to be as safe as possible. :) I do already have a return style regulator that is for this purpose. I seen some tools with the female fitting, but it would be a lot cheaper if I could just get the fitting by itself.

Pete

Edit:
Here's a pic of what I am referring to:

Last edited:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You can get spares off most Ford vehicles. The male end has a barb to plastic hose type fitting.
The later trucks (my '97, for example) go from the fitting you show to an inverted flare nut that screws to the fuel rail. I would have saved these, but the spring lock fittings on the drivers side frame rail would not come loose for love or money.

I went with new lines from the fuel filter forward.So, my efi setup goes from filter to hard line, then a short section of fuel injection soft line, then onto the barbed end of the spring lock piece, then snapped into the 5.0 hard line. (my application, the hard lines run from the fuel rails to the passenger side frame rail)

With regards to your original question, those ends are common to mot fords and can be easily re-used.
I just had one connection that was corroded too much to seperate.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I found all sorts of male connectors, but those female ones are tricky to find. I did a TON of searching, relooked up my regulator and I could have sworn it was AN fitting, but it's 3/8" NPT according to Summit. I think I found the return and feed fittings I needed with the 3/8" NPT thread, but won't know 100% till it gets here... Shipped today, so in a few days I'll know for sure.

Pete

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Fittings came on Saturday, they will adapt the supply line directly to 3/8" NPT - which is what my regulator is. Win there. :D

I finally got to looking at the connections and completely failed to notice that the supply and return springs locks are reversed. I need to pay better attention, Loss here. Should have disconnected first, but I procrastinated on getting the tool. Not 100% on what I will do here, but it looks like reusing the male spring lock from the rail with EFI fuel line and hopefully I can find a barb for this to 3/8 NPT to my regulator for the return.

If you couldn't tell, this is my first time messing with these fittings. I was reluctant to mess with them before and just pulled the fuel rail when I pulled my engine (twice). :icon_twisted:

Pete

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
They're usually easy with the propper tool.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals