• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frame Rust

jeepxj2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I picked up a new ranger for my wheeling rig. It is a 1994 Ford Ranger, It is standard cab, long box, it is 4x4, with push button, auto (dead) and a 4.0 v6 which runs really great. The frame is pretty decent with the exception of this, there are no holes, I couldnt punch a sharp screwdriver or center punch with a hammer through it, I drilled through it with a drill in the 2 crappiest looking spots and it was just barely under an 1/8" thick, still over 1/16" thick I'd say it was missing about a 32th of an inch over the rest of the frame. I was just scared cuz i seen a bunch of crap packed in there, and the frame was really flaky here, but the rest still seems real solid, i need all new spring mounts, and rear cab mounts, but the body is really solid with no rust, and most of the frame has no flacky crap besides back here, Im going to blast the frame with my lil harbor freight blaster and paint it with good frame paint to keep it from getting any worse. Am I wasting my time with this frame or is it still good? should I weld on a 1/8" fish plate over it and redrill it out for the new spring mounts or is that over kill? I would say the frame is 3/32" thick still in the worse spots.But it didn't look like they took very good care of it, its going to see mud, but probably not salt ever again, and its getting repainted real good so the chances of it continueing to rot are very slim.

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
looks like a slightly more advance case of every frame under every truck in the midwest, i think you should be fine, but if you are going to take the time to sandblast it then why not box it?? thats what i would do...:icon_welder:

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Sand blast it and see what's what. I think most of the flakes are the factory paint that finally gave out. Very rarely will it have rust holes, it shouldn't anyway. I just tackled this on my 92', and it survived all those MN winters fairly well. I had to make new spring mounts because, as you can see in the photo, stuff packs in between the mount and the frame, usually causing the mount to rust out first(it did on mine).

Good luck getting the bolts out, grade 8 and not going anywhere.

If you want, I could post pics of what my new mounts looked like, you could probably make them too, if you have welding skills that is.

jeepxj2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking of making my own mounts as well, and yes on the welding ability. I was thinking the same of sandblasting and seeing what happens, but I doubt its will show much since it isn't a very powerful blaster, it will get the job done, but I don't think it is really too bad, just checking too see what everyone else thought before I put a bunch of money into it, when I drilled the holes in the 2 nasty spots i measured it and it wasn't really much thinner than the rest of the frame, i think what you guys said is correct about the paint because it was paint on the outside of the chips, everything cleans off real easy, as far as boxing it what do you mean by that? boxing it like a jeep frame is boxed? or just adding plate all the way around it and keeping it a c channel but just a thicker channel?

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
put in a motor that leaks 1/2 quart of oil a week, eventually it'll all be oil soaked and protected. One truck I have had a bad front crank seal and my frame is good and lubed, hardly any corrosion pits.

jeepxj2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe that..lol the front of the frame is perfect because it is oil soaked...:D

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thats just surface rust. blow oil all over it, paint it or sand blast it down and paint it.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have to agree but is this just me or does there look like there is a right to the right of the wiring harness

corona

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i have to agree but is this just me or does there look like there is a right to the right of the wiring harness
a what now? crack?

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
What, that white fuzz? That's a piece of cotton or fabric that's stuck to the harness protector. If you look closely, you can see the strands at the base of the "crack".

I would recommend on building the mounts yourself, then. You'll save a bunch of money, design it however you want to, and you can incorporate a few inches of lift if you want(just don't overdo it).

ease

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about to pull my 95 into the garage for the same job.

Haven't inspected under the cab yet too much, but thinking I might pull that off too, and do an almost frame up rebuild to bite everything in the ass that might pop up.

What is the best kind of paint for roughly cleaned up rust like this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals