• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

framerail pump

fatt_owl2.9

Reaction score
the salton trough, lower colorado desert, CA/somet
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've had a seemingly intermittent issue with my truck for as long as I've had it, which has been exactly a year and about 14k miles. What I'm wondering is, is the framerail fuel pump supposed to run every time the key is turned? Mine doesn't always. There was a period where the problem seemed to go away for a few months, and my truck would fire up flawlessly every time. But then it'll come back, and sometimes I'll have to turn the key a half a dozen times or even more before I hear the pump buzz and my engine fires up.

There's a couple other intermittent issues that seem to come with it....the first one happens only when the truck is cold, I'll turn the key and hear the pump buzz, start the engine, it will fire right up and at the very second where the engine is supposed to settle down to its idling RPM, it will fall right on its face and stall. I'll have sometimes crank the engine 3 or 4 or even 6 times before it will finally run.

The other issue is that sometimes the engine will start, but idle real sputtery, like it's missing really bad, I'll try and give it some gas but nothing happens, it won't rev at all, and after a few seconds it'll sputter out and die, and I'll have to crank it a few times until it fires up and idles/runs smoothly. This clearly seems to me like the framerail pump is not always doing its job upon startup. Could these also be symptoms of a crapped-out FPR? Once the engine is started and running normally it drives like a dream, always pulls smoothly and never has any hesitation or sputtering. The startup issues just bug the crap outta me lol.

I'm hoping maybe this is just a sign the rail pump is on it's way out, and not indicative of other possible electrical issues, like ECU signals or anything like that. When it comes to electrical i'm totally retarded, and dread facing any such issue. I guess I can try replacing the pump but something tells me it's a friggin' expensive part, plus I've crawled underneath there and looked, the pump is covered by a thick metal scuff protector box, and I can't figure out at all how to get to it.

Thanks for any advice and insight guys.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
The box/cover around the FP should have just a couple of bolts or screws holding it on(maybe on the top of the frame rail??). once the cover and or box is off then it'll be clearer as to its removal, but not neccessarly super easy...not alot of extra room to work there.

the intermitant behavior ....hints more of a bad wire or ground than a bad pump. Sorry
have your tried replacing the relay for the FP?

Look over connectors and grounds really well...make sure they are good...even main baterry cables.

has any codes been thrown?

fatt_owl2.9

Reaction score
the salton trough, lower colorado desert, CA/somet
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The box/cover around the FP should have just a couple of bolts or screws holding it on(maybe on the top of the frame rail??). once the cover and or box is off then it'll be clearer as to its removal, but not neccessarly super easy...not alot of extra room to work there.

the intermitant behavior ....hints more of a bad wire or ground than a bad pump. Sorry
have your tried replacing the relay for the FP?

Look over connectors and grounds really well...make sure they are good...even main baterry cables.

has any codes been thrown?
I'm hoping it's just a loose wire or a dirty connector or ground. I will look into the pump relay, if it's not too expensive...I really recently had some cleaning and work done on my battery cables, so I'm pretty sure they aren't a problem...I have never checked for codes, I don't even know how I would go about doing that.

which connectors and grounds should I check? where are they located?

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
I've had a seemingly intermittent issue with my truck for as long as I've had it, which has been exactly a year and about 14k miles. What I'm wondering is, is the framerail fuel pump supposed to run every time the key is turned? Mine doesn't always. There was a period where the problem seemed to go away for a few months, and my truck would fire up flawlessly every time. But then it'll come back, and sometimes I'll have to turn the key a half a dozen times or even more before I hear the pump buzz and my engine fires up.

There's a couple other intermittent issues that seem to come with it....the first one happens only when the truck is cold, I'll turn the key and hear the pump buzz, start the engine, it will fire right up and at the very second where the engine is supposed to settle down to its idling RPM, it will fall right on its face and stall. I'll have sometimes crank the engine 3 or 4 or even 6 times before it will finally run.

The other issue is that sometimes the engine will start, but idle real sputtery, like it's missing really bad, I'll try and give it some gas but nothing happens, it won't rev at all, and after a few seconds it'll sputter out and die, and I'll have to crank it a few times until it fires up and idles/runs smoothly. This clearly seems to me like the framerail pump is not always doing its job upon startup. Could these also be symptoms of a crapped-out FPR? Once the engine is started and running normally it drives like a dream, always pulls smoothly and never has any hesitation or sputtering. The startup issues just bug the crap outta me lol.

I'm hoping maybe this is just a sign the rail pump is on it's way out, and not indicative of other possible electrical issues, like ECU signals or anything like that. When it comes to electrical i'm totally retarded, and dread facing any such issue. I guess I can try replacing the pump but something tells me it's a friggin' expensive part, plus I've crawled underneath there and looked, the pump is covered by a thick metal scuff protector box, and I can't figure out at all how to get to it.

Thanks for any advice and insight guys.
ummmm......that pump is a pain in the ass to get out.......be prepared with a FEW good drill bits. you will break or dull them quick if its got rusty bolts

901wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Fuel sippin 4.9
Transmission
Manual
It's not so bad If you pull the front D shaft.

Oh guess its the 87 2wd? wasnt hard for me....

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I'm hoping it's just a loose wire or a dirty connector or ground. I will look into the pump relay, if it's not too expensive...I really recently had some cleaning and work done on my battery cables, so I'm pretty sure they aren't a problem...I have never checked for codes, I don't even know how I would go about doing that.

which connectors and grounds should I check? where are they located?
to get codes http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html

take a good look over your main battery cables, for bulges in the insulation coating. this is a indicator that the cable is corroding from the inside out.

as far as, connectors the one near the TFI or ignition module and any & all grounds that you can find...the harder to find one, should be a ground on the back side of the block or head to...also note whether the ground strap from the cab to frame or to the exhuast on the passanger side is good also ground strap from the windshield wiper motor to the cab is good as well. Now when looking these ground wires over note if there are any wires with suspect insulation, exspecially around the exhuast area.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals