• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fresh alignment but it doesn’t look or feel right

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock.
Tire Size
30in
Just got my alignment done on my 2004 4x4 ranger after I installed the upper an arm adjustment cams and the numbers are different from the left and right sides. The upper arm is not parallel to the lower on both sides either the front mount is about 3/4 of an inch inward compared to the rear mount. The steering doesn’t feel as tight as it did before installing the adjustment cams and it has the fall on its face feel in corners compared to before.

left side
-0.2 camber
3.2 caster
0.04 toe

right side
-0.4 camber
3.5 caster
0.05 toe

Hope you guys can tell me if this looks right, all help is appreciated.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
no me. i have no idea other than being able to see that same differences you see in numbers. how they effect the driving feel, no idea

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock.
Tire Size
30in
no me. i have no idea other than being able to see that same differences you see in numbers. how they effect the driving feel, no idea
Ok thanks hopefully someone eke knows a little more.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Without seeing the specs, I can't tell. That doesn't look horrible. A tad bit more toe might help it feel better.

Did they give you a sheet with your numbers compared to the specifications? Post a picture if that sheet.

Your comment about the upper and lower arms not being parallel doesn't really mean much. With alignment, it's all about these numbers. To get the numbers exactly perfect can sometimes take a long time. You adjust one thing and it throws something else off. You end up chasing your tail all day long and a technician can't afford to do that unless you want to pay for extra labor. The specs give an acceptable range. A good tech will get it extremely close so you're not at the outer limits of the range. But it should drive right if everything is within that range.

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock.
Tire Size
30in
IMG_3297.jpeg

theres the alignment sheet I installed the cams at my house which is why the alignment is so jacked up in the before part. I would’ve preferred for them to get the caster the same.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Those numbers are pretty good. Only thing I would do if it feels loose would be to give it a tiny bit more toe in. But not much. I really don't see anything to complain about from the numbers. Of vourse, the rest of us can't drive it to know how it feels. These trucks are not sports cars. You could get it to feel a lot tighter. But you'd pay in reduced tire life.

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock.
Tire Size
30in
Ok thanks for the input, I was just making sure that everything looked alright.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lazy google turns up this for '04 specs:
2004alignmentspecs.jpg

This agrees with your printout on camber and caster, but not toe. It's possible they targeted 2wd toe, but 4x4 actually wants more.
.12° with 30" tires is ~1/8" of toe the old-fashioned way, and I've always been told to aim for 1/16-1/8". So, I would agree you want a little more, but I drive older stuff.

The rest seems fine. On the two sides being different: all other things being equal, vehicles will tend to pull to the side with less caster. US (and most countries) drive on the right, and most roads are sloped outwards for drainage. So, specs often target slightly less caster on the left to compensate. I don't know anything about '04s, but on a lot of vehicles camber and caster are adjusted simultaneously, so it's not necessarily possible to get every value exactly perfect.

If it doesn't appreciably pull or wander and the wheel is centered, that's good enough for me.

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock.
Tire Size
30in
Lazy google turns up this for '04 specs:
View attachment 100326
This agrees with your printout on camber and caster, but not toe. It's possible they targeted 2wd toe, but 4x4 actually wants more.
.12° with 30" tires is ~1/8" of toe the old-fashioned way, and I've always been told to aim for 1/16-1/8". So, I would agree you want a little more, but I drive older stuff.

The rest seems fine. On the two sides being different: all other things being equal, vehicles will tend to pull to the side with less caster. US (and most countries) drive on the right, and most roads are sloped outwards for drainage. So, specs often target slightly less caster on the left to compensate. I don't know anything about '04s, but on a lot of vehicles camber and caster are adjusted simultaneously, so it's not necessarily possible to get every value exactly perfect.

If it doesn't appreciably pull or wander and the wheel is centered, that's good enough for me.
Thanks a lot man I really appreciate this info. Should I show this to the shop and tell them to align it properly because it pulls to the a bit?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Full disclosure, I'm not an alignment expert. I know "enough" to align my stuff "good enough", because shops here are some combination of busy/ill-equipped/dishonest.

I wouldn't expect much if you take it back, since you're well in-spec. I guess it depends on the details. Is it pulling left? Is it "following the road" whichever way that section of road is graded? Assuming camber and caster increase together, you don't have an enormous amount of room on the camber side to bump your caster up to try and deal with that.

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock.
Tire Size
30in
Full disclosure, I'm not an alignment expert. I know "enough" to align my stuff "good enough", because shops here are some combination of busy/ill-equipped/dishonest.

I wouldn't expect much if you take it back, since you're well in-spec. I guess it depends on the details. Is it pulling left? Is it "following the road" whichever way that section of road is graded? Assuming camber and caster increase together, you don't have an enormous amount of room on the camber side to bump your caster up to try and deal with that.
Okay the guy at the alignment shop said that he made it pull to the left to compensate for the roads being sloped to the right but it still pull to hard to the left especially because a lot of the roads I drive in aren’t sloped to the right that much. I really just wanted him to make both sides the same so it tracks straight but he didn’t want to put it back up on the machine. Considering it was $110 for a 2 wheel alignment I’d expect it to be almost perfect.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Only you know what it feels like to drive. If it's pulling hard, I'd take it back, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a fight, or they want more money to redo it.

Avyn Nix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock.
Tire Size
30in
Thanks for the heads up I could see that happening, although my appointment was at 3:30 and they didn’t put the truck up on the rack for and hour because one of the workers was cleaning his work are the entire time and all that wait for a 20min shawty alignment. I’m hoping they can be sensible and fix it for free but I don’t think they’re the kind of guys to do that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals