• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front end upgrade? Repair?

1990 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1990 4x4 Ranger that only the right side will engage when I put it in 4-wheel drive, and there is a grinding sound in the front when I engage the front end. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1998 complete front end - would that bolt up? Or, if anyone has any ideas how to get the left side to engage, I would be willing to go that direction. Thanks for any help with this.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have a 1990 4x4 Ranger that only the right side will engage when I put it in 4-wheel drive, and there is a grinding sound in the front when I engage the front end. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1998 complete front end - would that bolt up? Or, if anyone has any ideas how to get the left side to engage, I would be willing to go that direction. Thanks for any help with this.
The 98 is a torsion bar setup with vacuum hubs. Not even close to a bolt in and a massive step backwards from your TTB and manual hubs.

To me it sounds like its just a bad hub on the side that dont engage

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that, you need a '90 through '97 to be interchangeable, you can include '91-94 Explorers as well

1990 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks - it's strange, but when I look down the side of the truck the left side tire sticks out a little farther than the right side. Is there something that might cause the axle to not be fully engaging at the differential? I replaced the automatic hubs with manual ones, thinking that would fix the problem, and put in new wheel bearings (which addressed another problem), but it didn't fix the 4-wheel drive issue. As long as I don't engage it into 4-wheel drive it works fine. Any ideas of where I should go next?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
the left side tire sticks out a little farther than the right side
Front or back or both?
I've heard that he rear diff on some Rangers is not centered. Maybe the rear end has been swapped at some point

1990 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Front or back or both?
I've heard that he rear diff on some Rangers is not centered. Maybe the rear end has been swapped at some point
It's just in the front on the left side ! The side that doesn't engage when I put it in 4-wheel drive. And I bought it well-used, so who knows what all has been done with it!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The only thing that would make the drivers side stick out a little more would be a bent pivot bracket somehow, unless the body is offset to one side which would be easy to do...

Are the U joints in the front diff intact? Need to find out where the issue is, put the transfer case in neutral and lock both hubs then crawl underneath and turn the front driveshaft and see what isn't turning or where there is slop... If I was closer I'd check it out but I'm on the other side of the state...

1990 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I will give that a try - really appreciate your help!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I second the body being off. I know mine is. It's weird to look at. Front sticks out one side and the rear on the other.

1990 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's funny that the rear appears to be okay, but the front might be bent. It also might be a red herring, so I think that is the problem (being bent) when something else is going on inside. I'll hopefully have some time next week to jack it up and take a closer look at the underside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals