• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Sway Bar Stabilizer or possible ball joint issue .

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You need to take the weight off the suspension to change the ball joint and the upper control arms. Just don’t fully tighten everything up until you have full vehicle weight on the suspension. Just snug them up.

The upper arms often have adjustment cams on the bolts. So try to put them back where you found them when installing the new control arms and get an alignment to make sure it’s correct or your truck could start eating tires.

The sway bar end links are easy, a nut, bolt, sleeve, some washers, and the bushings. Getting the old ones off can be a bear if you don’t have a sawsall or an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Again, don’t fully tighten the end links until the truck suspension is full supporting the weight of the truck. It will seem like it’s taking forever to get them to full torque if you are just using hand tools. I forget what the torque is but it isn’t a lot 20 or 30 foot pounds.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Raising a vehicle can be risky and dangerous. It includes jacks, jack stands, pads for each, chock blocks for the wheels and a knowledge of using them. You really need a level and stable place to do this type stuff. Only you can make that call but I recommend having somebody there to help and guide you through at least the first time

It isn't rocket science, just can't be done blindly, you cleared a big hurdle when you mentioned straight up and down

Last edited:

qkcam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok I got the courage to order sway bar bushings - I have it all disassembled. The old one with the all the bushings came out like a breeze. The side with missing bushings awas more difficult. while I was underneath (didnt need to lift it ) I saw the bolts for the bushings that hold the sway bar in place on the frame and thought .. what the heck!

taking the entire bar off made it easier to sawzall through the stuck on sway bar rod.

Now I am going to reassemble. While I am under there I am also looking at the upper control arms and it doesn't seem to difficult.. I need to finish this first!

Do I need to put some kind of grease on those bushings.? I have some marine grease and I have some silicon grease. I have no idea about the grease for these components.

Also the suspension stabilizer bar bushings are a tad small. 27.36mm vs 26.9 I hope that is in the ball park !

any ideas? thanks for all your support! I will post before and after pictures :)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ok I got the courage to order sway bar bushings - I have it all disassembled. The old one with the all the bushings came out like a breeze. The side with missing bushings awas more difficult. while I was underneath (didnt need to lift it ) I saw the bolts for the bushings that hold the sway bar in place on the frame and thought .. what the heck!

taking the entire bar off made it easier to sawzall through the stuck on sway bar rod.

Now I am going to reassemble. While I am under there I am also looking at the upper control arms and it doesn't seem to difficult.. I need to finish this first!

Do I need to put some kind of grease on those bushings.? I have some marine grease and I have some silicon grease. I have no idea about the grease for these components.

Also the suspension stabilizer bar bushings are a tad small. 27.36mm vs 26.9 I hope that is in the ball park !

any ideas? thanks for all your support! I will post before and after pictures :)

Use silicone grease. Regular petroleum based grease tends to swell the bushing material and make it squeak. The squeaking will drive you nuts.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I use Superlube.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I agree the super lube or a silicone based brake grease, which I think the one you posted is.

qkcam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the original sway stabilizer bar bushings seem to be in good shape still but I guess the ID gets worn over time.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
the original sway stabilizer bar bushings seem to be in good shape still but I guess the ID gets worn over time.
That they do. If you can move the bar around in the bushing while it’s mounted, it’s worn out and needs changed.

qkcam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i got it all put back together.. I have health issues that greatly impact my energy levels. Good progress thanks to everyone's help and encouragement here!
my memory isn't anything like it used to be . I hope I didnt put the stabilizer bar on upside down ? I took before pics but the angles weren't helpful .

I just need to tighten all the nuts - tomorrow. then wednesday I will move it around the block for street sweeping on thursday and I will see how it drives :)

Attachments

qkcam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That they do. If you can move the bar around in the bushing while it’s mounted, it’s worn out and needs changed.
oh! I did put the new bushings on. when tightening the bracket around bushings how much up and down movement should there be on the stabilizer bar? thanks!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i got it all put back together.. I have health issues that greatly impact my energy levels. Good progress thanks to everyone's help and encouragement here!
my memory isn't anything like it used to be . I hope I didnt put the stabilizer bar on upside down ? I took before pics but the angles weren't helpful .

I just need to tighten all the nuts - tomorrow. then wednesday I will move it around the block for street sweeping on thursday and I will see how it drives :)
Looks good. There should be no movement once everything is tight.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome qkcam! Be careful there what you do, never shortchange the steering, and of course be ever careful working under there :)

qkcam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was able to squeeze under the truck..actually there was plenty of room even parked on the street.
Had medical appts today so I haven't yet had a chance to tighten everything down. I am still going to take it n to have an inspection on the suspension and steering.

Good thing i replaced the stabilizer bushings becasue I was able to move the bar up and down while taking out the old sway bar rods .

will it tighten firm even with the silicon grease? sorry for so many questions.
you all are lifesavers! Much appreciation!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if you need a bit more oomph! behind some of those bolts put a cheater pipe onto your ratchet. Here's one I use in my yard bag, not sure where it came from, I flattened one end a bit

Actually that was an extra extension for a ceiling fan

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals