• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Filter

tedrisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FlexFuel
Transmission
Automatic
has anyone had problems with the rear line on the filter? i have a 99 3.0 and tried to get that off with the 5/16" disconnect wrench with no luck. I took it to two small places and they couldnt do it either. ended up gettin frustrated and taking it to Firestone and paid $89 bucks!!!! unbeleivable!!!!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
No special tricks to it at all. Its just a typical fuel line dissconnect. Sometimes you have to spray them out with some brake cleaner and some compressed air just to clean them out.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its a pain in the ass and takes patience but thats about the only trick

jim22

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just did mine on my '99 too. I probably spent 8 hours on it and spent over $30 in tools plus $10 more on a tool I returned. I consider myself lucky I didn't damage anything.

The first tool was an OEM brand metal scissors-style, purchased at Autozone, which was so poorly made that it wouldn't close down on the filter inlet and fit under the shell of the coupler.

Second tool was a plastic collar type, purchased at NAPA. This one might have actually worked, but read on...

Third tool was another metal scissors-style, purchased at NAPA. I dressed up the welds on this one and it fit on the pipe and under the coupler shell. I may have felt the coupler release when I first pressed the tool in, but I'm not sure. The filter did NOT slide off easily. The coupler retention clips really had released at some point, but it took a lot of force and some twisting to pull apart.

After I got it apart I discovered the inside of the coupler shell had rusted and was an extremely tight fit on the filter pipe. Then, of course, the new one wouldn't just fit. I ended up pulling out two o-rings and taking a file to the inside of the coupler. Putting the o-rings back in was a challenge. In the end, I persevered.

So, don't feel too bad. I think barring problems like you and I apparently had, changing the filter is usually really easy.

BTW, the other important part about changing the filter is to depressurize the fuel system first. I disconnected the fuel pump cutoff switch below the glove compartment behind the carpet with the engine running. Once the engine stalls it's pretty much depressurized.

Take care,
Jim

tedrisch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FlexFuel
Transmission
Automatic
thank you for all the responses. Next time I will try and be a little more patient. It is hard though while lying on your back with gasoline spewing all over the place!!

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you purge the schrader valve first? Some fuel will come out regardless but not a whole lot. Thank God for lifts.:D

cul8ri1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2005 I didnt look at it yet but on Michell on demand it said they are push type connetors. Does this mean no tool is needed?

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Just no tools to install. They will require a fuel line disconnect tool to take out.

aridranger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i couldn't get the fuel lines off with the cheap autozone tool but i did get the lines to release with my fingers

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep theyre a pain took me about an hour to get mine off thats with a lift and 3 different kinds of tools once you get the tool in there and kinda feel it release you just pull till it comes off

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same set pretty much (minus the fancy case) and it worked great for my filter channge.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Careful when taking them damn things off.. If you don't release the pressure the gasoline goes everywhere.. I got some squirting out once long ago.. I turned my head so it wouldn't get in my eyes.. IT GOT IN MY EAR! Much worse pain then the eye! Never, I'll say it again NEVER allow gasoline to get into your ear. Worst part of it is you can't hear yourself screaming!
Big JIm

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Big Jim, I got the eyes years ago and learned ................. That's what dey make dem Safy Glass 4 :icon_twisted:................
Live an learn ..... Until I kill my self learning

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals