• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel gauge lied to me.

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
recently bought a 1990 4x4 Stx 4.0

original owner told me don't trust the gas gauge, b/c when you fill it up it goes waaaaaaayy past "full"

i wanted to actually see where is the "danger zone" for Empty, so i figured i would drive till maybe an indictor for low fuel, or maybe on a hard turn would sputter, and then i would know where to judge from.

woke up this morning to start the truck to let it warm up before heading into work. come back out of the house, truck is dead. I figured out i don't have a low fuel indicator! tank reads at a 1/4 tank full when empty.

Is there any way to recalibrate the fuel gauge? atleast so its somewhat acurate. not a big deal, but thought maybe TRS could help!

Thanks!

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did some research on the forum. looks to be a common problem. found a couple solutions, just wanted to hear from someone who had this problem, and what they did to :icon_welder: it

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I don't usually trust OEM gauges. I normally drive by the odometer. I know how many miles I can get on a tankful and fill accordingly.

Ranger4657

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.ohh nooo
Transmission
Automatic
haha, i had the same problem, but when i was working on the cluster one day i decided to fill it up and just pulled the needle off and repositioned it at full... not sure if thats the correct way of doing it, but i havent had any misleading measurements since.

Dragonclaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My old cluster (stock one) would tell me I had more gas then I did but only until it got to 1/2 a tank then it would drop like a rock. I recently pulled one out of a 1997 Explorer so i could have a Tach and now it works like its supposed to. Before I changed it out I had assumed it was the sending unit telling it wrong, but I guess the cluster was the culprit.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
haha, i had the same problem, but when i was working on the cluster one day i decided to fill it up and just pulled the needle off and repositioned it at full... not sure if thats the correct way of doing it, but i havent had any misleading measurements since.
This is probably the fix if it's going way past full. The needle is probably just positioned wrong on the spindle.

gman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 5 spd
Transmission
Manual
i have the same problem , i just go by the miles

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
I'm on my second sender and it's reading off. Did some research and I have done what everyone does. Don't stuff your tank till it comes out the filler neck. Just fill to the first cutoff. For some reason Ford senders (O.E. & aftermarket) will go katy wompus on ya it over filling is done repeatedly.

I'm just gonna put up with mine till it pukes then install the Walbro pump.

SCREWd2V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i think this sounds like the best solution.

GMWIGGS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 & 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm on my second sender and it's reading off. Did some research and I have done what everyone does. Don't stuff your tank till it comes out the filler neck. Just fill to the first cutoff. For some reason Ford senders (O.E. & aftermarket) will go katy wompus on ya it over filling is done repeatedly.

I'm just gonna put up with mine till it pukes then install the Walbro pump.
My current ranger '00 and last ranger '96 I fill them up to the top. I mean I pack 'em full! Never had a problem with the gauges or anything. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Now when I go to get in my truck it wont work right anymore..................................at least thats usually how my luck goes!

Last edited:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
the problem with mine is the first half drops like a rock... then it'll slow down on the second half. why?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals