• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel injector question

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i had some bad injectors, so i thought, last summer. so i changed all 6 because you have to take the intake off in order to change the injector. the old injectors had like a little rubber "skirt"? around the bottom. the new injectors did not. so i thought i'd put the old skirts on the new injectors. well one of them split and would not stay in so i put 5 of them on and figured they didnt come with them, what would it hurt to not put them on. well now the one without the skirt is leaking from the top. around the o ring i assume. so i ordered new o rings and gaskets from rock auto. i wonder if that skirt not being on that injector has caused it to leak? because maybe the fuel rail is not even or something? i tried to find that piece online and could not. since i have to take this off again, should i not put the other 5 skirts on? they didnt come with the new injectors.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is an o-ring at the top and bottom of each injector.

And at the bottom of some is a Pintle cap, this causes fuel to spray in a certain pattern.

And yes, if it uses a pintle cap then if it was missing the injector wouldn't be held tight against intake and rail, so could leak, most likely would leak.

Google: Ford fuel injector pintle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The piece i'm speaking of i can not find anywhere. It is like a rubber insulator? that the injector sits in, then it goes into the intake. I'm thinking that when i redo this i'll keep all of the skirts off and see what happens.

you can kind of see it in this picture,

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What engine is this?

Some of the Ranger 4.0l's did come with isolator/insulator rings on the injectors which were not needed on Rangers but were needed on 4.0l in Aerostars, it was for a heat issue not present in Rangers.

They can all be removed(what most do), or you need all of them to have it, so rail has equal pressure on all 3 injectors on that side of the rail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
this is a 93 4.0L OHV engine. When i redo this i will leave all of them off.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm getting too good at this i guess, i had the intake off in about 20 minutes.

this O-ring was sheared and was on the leaking injector. I'm surprised it took a year for this to leak.

This is the "skirt" as i was calling it. I guess it is an insulator. I am going to leave all of these off when i reassemble.

and i think i order too many parts from rockauto.com :icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals