• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump not shutting off

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i need help... i got a 88 2.9 and the first fuel pump/fillter on my truck the one behind the drivers fender well wen i turn the key the pump will turn on and it doesnt turn off evan wen i turn the truck off i have to keep turning the key off and on a bunch of times and then it will turn off and sometimes wen im driving it will spit and sputter so i shut the truck off and the fuel pump is off so i just turn the key and the pump turns back on and it runs fine wtf! is this fuel pump soposeto stay on wen the trucks running becasue i thought it just turns on for like 8-10 seconds and shuts off??:icon_confused: i had a eletrical fire a wile ago and had to run a wire from that fuel pump to the relay for it to turn on... i didnt have that wire hooked up all summer but now that its winter one day it just wouldnt start so i hooked that wire up to the fuel pump and it started??? i dont no if that will help you guys figure out the problem this is just really f**ked up. sorry if this makes no sense and you think im stupid but this is wats happening i just need some leads to help me figure out this problem..thanks:beer:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel pump will run 2 time for 1-2 second each when the key is first put onto run. Once the engine is running, it runs continiously.

The computer must still be on when you're turning it off because the computer controls when the fuel pump is on by grounding the relay from pin #22 on the PCM. The relay also depends on the ECC relay to be switched on for the positive end of the relay circuit.

I'd be curious where you tapped the fuel pump circuit into. Not sure with out seeing what you have going on, I would highly suggest investing into a vehicle specific wiring diagram.

Pete

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You could also have a short somewhere that is somehow bypassing the computer controls. Try and get to the main wiring and take a look at it, see if you can't find something that looks odd or out of place.

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i got the wiring diagram from my friend thats a mechanic we ran the wire from the fuel pump power wire im guessing to the fuel pump relay because it burned wen i had the fire.. the relay also clicks when the fuel pump stays on after turning the truck off is that a bad relay... iv repaced it so manny times. or could it be somthing with the computer

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
pete it sounds like you no what your talking about do you know of anythings i could check right away to try to elimanate the problem

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
pete it sounds like you no what your talking about do you know of anythings i could check right away to try to elimanate the problem
Check your ECC relay. It's the brown (IIRC) plugged relay on the passenger side. Green plug I think is the fuel pump relay. If you pull the ECC relay while the fuel pump is stuck running, does the fuel pump stop running?

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals