• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump

bourbon5.0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 SWAP DONE
Transmission
Automatic
i did the swap to 5.0 my doner vehicle was a 98 explorer. from what i have read it says to change the in take fuel pressure regulator but mine doesnt have one in the explorer tank so should i just remove the ranger pump and use the pump from the explorer. are they set at different pressure's any info would help a lot. all thats left is the fuel and the pats. hopefully will be done by monday

carcraft302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
putting 5.0 in 97 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The stock fuel pressure regulator sites on the fuel rails and is vacum operated. As speed of the vehicle increases the regulator shuts off the fuel return line and increases pressure in the rails increasing fuel flow to the injectors. I put in a new pump as I thought it would be easier to replace it now with the truck apart!

RangerPliskin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 wants to be 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Pressure Regulator

My donor Explorer was a '99, but it should be the same as your '98. The vacuum driven device on the fuel rail isn't a pressure regulator from what I understand, it's a pressure relief valve. The regulator is on the fuel pump in the Explorer fuel tank. It's a direct swap with the regulator on the Ranger pump.

Is your donor missing the fuel pump?

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
98-back Explorer is return fuel, has supply and return fuel lines, runs at 30-45 PSI variable pressure, regulated at the fuel rail by a vacuum controlled regulator.

99~01 Explorer is returnless, has supply fuel line only, runs at constant pressure 65 PSI, pressure regulator in the tank.

bourbon5.0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 SWAP DONE
Transmission
Automatic
mine has the fuel pump but the 98 didnt have the fuel pressuer regulator in the tank like my ranger did i noticed that theres 2 line running to the filter and one coming out of it on the ranger. would be nice if i could just find a fuel rail for a 99

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
be nice if i could just find a fuel rail for a 99
Changing the fuel rail alone won't solve your problem because your Ranger pump/regulator is putting out either 55 PSI (3.0 Flex Fuel only) or 65 PSI (all other 2000 Rangers). The calibration in the 98 Ex PCM has fueling tables set up for about 30 PSI at idle and roughly 40 PSI at WOT. Obviously, this combo would be running super rich.

You could change to the 99~01 Ex fuel rail and the 99~01 Ex PCM but that would also require the 99~01 engine harness, Cam Position Sensor, MAF/IAT and injectors, all of which are different from 98. If your Ranger was originally 3.0L Flex Fuel (55 PSI), you'd also need to change to a standard 2000 Ranger 65 PSI intank fuel pressure regulator to match the 99~01 Ex fuel pressure.

bourbon5.0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 SWAP DONE
Transmission
Automatic
so i need use the lines and the fuel pump from the 98 explorer in my 2000 ranger to get my fuel problem solved

V8 Level II

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so i need use the lines and the fuel pump from the 98 explorer in my 2000 ranger to get my fuel problem solved
Possibly but the lines could be the wrong length due to the shorter wheelbase on the Explorer (108 Ex vs 112/118/126 on the Ranger). Besides that, many Explorers have steel tanks and the later Rangers have plastic. In any case, you'd have to check to see if the flange mounts of the tank and pump unit are compatible (for example, some use bolts and some use a twist lock flange).

For the lines and pump assembly, you might want to look into 97-back Rangers which also had the return fuel system like your 98 Ex donor. Same things to watch for as above: Rangers have 3 different wheelbase lengths and the tank/pump mounting setup may have changed over the years. Also, the Ranger pump output could be inadequate for the 5.0. My factory Ranger pump worked fine when the Ex engine was stock but couldn't keep up after adding the blower and slightly larger injectors. Luckily the aftermarket has you covered with several higher flowrate pumps available.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I didn't use the explorer setup, but what I did was just swap out the ranger's fuel pump with a 255lph for a mustang 5.0. They are the exact same in size so it's just a matter of swaping it out, and I used the ranger's fuel lines with the mustang fuel rail.

From what I've read, the ranger's pump does not have enough omph to satisfy a V8.

bourbon5.0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 SWAP DONE
Transmission
Automatic
the lines are steel but the tank was plastic was thinking about swiching the pump it self using the ranger sending unit can alway cut the steel line and shorten it with conpression fittings do you think that would work

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
the lines are steel but the tank was plastic was thinking about swiching the pump it self using the ranger sending unit can alway cut the steel line and shorten it with conpression fittings do you think that would work
That's what I did on mine, just swapped the ranger pump for a mustang pump without swapping sending units.

Exactly what part of the lines are you talking about? Connection of the fuel rail to the fuel line or the fuel line to the sending unit?

bourbon5.0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 SWAP DONE
Transmission
Automatic
steel line going to the sending unit the feed line worked may have to cut the return to get it in but i think it will work ok

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
steel line going to the sending unit the feed line worked may have to cut the return to get it in but i think it will work ok
Heat gun should stretch that thing.

88302Camotruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I run an 88 302 F/I in my 88 Ranger with the stock Ranger fuel set up. Seems to run fine, pulls good thru the gears even with the 36 swampers. What I figured out is I lost 20% of my power when swapping to an AOD from the 4ALD trans if looking at it at a gearing stand point.

bourbon5.0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 SWAP DONE
Transmission
Automatic
fuel done

got the fuel lines run and the explorer pump in all that left is the PATS have that done next week

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals