• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel reservoir on 1st gen ranger.is it really necessary??

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
So I'm in the process of redoing my fuel system on my 87 ranger v8 swap.and I was Wondering if the fuel reservoir is really necessary to keep?I'm trying to eliminate xtra fuel line connections as possible to avoid possible leaks.i already bought a new low and high pressure pump a yr ago and would like to keep it that way.just want some verification that both pumps will be sufficient without the reservoir?since I no longer have it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The reservoir is more than just a bowl. If fuel demand suddenly increases the high pressure pump kicks up faster than the one in the tank, so it is good to have that reservoir for it to draw from while the LP pump catches up.

It also contains the check valve that prevents hard starts from the system losing its prime. Later years with a single pump put that in the tank. The best option for deleting it is going to an in-tank HP pump.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah... keep the reservoir or swap in a single pump. I have no regrets swapping in single pump... this is the one I used, suggested by PetroleumJunkie:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Does that pump fit on the factory hanger? Does that connector replace the factory one?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I wish I didn't throw it away.i thought I read on another forum site that someone removed it 13 yrs ago and he had no issues.sounds like he might of been full of crap

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would put a single high pressure pump in the gas tank and eliminate both the reservoir and 2nd pump, just way better setup

I don't think you would have a problem eliminating the reservoir, both pumps have the same flow rate or engine would stall out on high demand, but just an opinion
You could install an inline, clamp on filter, in its place, that would act as a small reservoir, that line just has 4-8psi pressure, so just hose clamps are fine to use

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I'm kinda feeling like the one high pressure in tank one would be a better setup.shran sent me what he uses on his with success.don t foxbody mustangs have 1 high pressure in tank pump?if so would one of those work as well?and would it fit my ranger hanger and wiring?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Sucks that I bought all new high and low pressure pumps that I won't be using because I throw away the reservoir.oh well! Time to find a high pressure pump

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ford called it a "reservoir" for a reason. One of it's jobs is to store fuel. You will notice the older trucks have no baffling in the tanks. This is not a problem till you let the fuel level get low and then go around a turn.

You will notice all the newer single pump in tank setups seem to have a large plastic can around them. And the return line dumps in this can. And the can sits right on the bottom of the tank with small holes to let fuel enter. Keeps the fuel gathered around the pump, and the return is dribbling fuel over the pump and can be a fuel supply to the interior of the can or baffle.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Yeah... keep the reservoir or swap in a single pump. I have no regrets swapping in single pump... this is the one I used, suggested by PetroleumJunkie:

Is it pretty straight forward to hook up to the oem ranger hanger?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the reservoir/filter was a hold over from when there was NO fuel pump in the tank(s)
And yes it was there to hold Prime if a tank ran dry

The mechanical pumps on the engine can't pump air, so couldn't start the siphon needed to pull fuel up and over the top of the tank if tank ran dry
If the tank ran dry the reservoir, and fuel lines would have some fuel after engine stalled, ran out of gas
So after adding gas to tank you would have a better chance to get it primed again

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

Is this pump vehicle specific or universal?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Looks pretty universal to me. Not sure about it fitting in place of a factory in-tank pump in the factory Ranger hanger though..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1988 and earlier Rangers used different sender in the tank for the gas gauge, so you can't use 1989 and up senders, it would show full when empty, but not accurately, lol

So you pretty much need to just replace the pump part of your assembly with a high pressure version and check the Pump OUT fittings, in and out of the tank, as they would now need to hold 40psi pressure instead of just 8psi

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's a replacement for 89 up Ford applications as far as I can tell. I had to cut off about an inch of the metal tube on my sending unit because the pump is physically taller than the original low pressure unit... otherwise it was a drop in deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals