• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tank won't hold pressure

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I just got back from the DMV where my truck failed the gas tank pressure test...which is basically where they put a hose clamp on a fuel line under the hood and hook a compressed air hose to your gas tank filler cap.

Anyway, my first instinct is to pull the bed off and start checking for leaks and buy a spare filler cap and thread a barb into it for my air compressor to test my results.

But I've never had to fix a problem like this before and googling isn't doing much good. So I was hoping you guys would have some wise words for me that might make this a little bit less of a hassle.

Last edited:

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The most likely cause is a fuel filler hose. The tend to crack around the base at the tank.

jsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The most likely cause is a fuel filler hose. The tend to crack around the base at the tank.
I was gonna say the same thing. My friend has a Toyota pickup with a flatbed and the filler neck was exposed to the weather and sunlight for long enough to make it pretty much fall apart.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe you guys are right. I've got at least two cracks in it where it joins the tank and the whole thing is petrified. I'll post a pic of the suspected spot in a bit.

I'd assume that's the problem...but then again I've never had to replace a piece of failed hose, so I couldn't say for sure.

Last edited:

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just want a second opinion to make me feel better about spending $100 on a new one.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it really $100? I just replaced one on one of the company F-350's, and it was like 30 bucks. I got it from car Quest (which I hate), but it was way cheaper then the dealership.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even napa and rockauto are charging up to $175 for a Ranger neck.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
thats a common problem for the ranger, and its expensive cuz the ends are two different I.D.'s, the hose is special molded. :bawling:

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
That's pretty lame:annoyed:
haha i know, when mine went bad i figured i would just match up a filler hose, but of course its gotta be "special" and after looking around at the junk yards, there were none worth taking off to reuse

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I was gonna say the same thing. My friend has a Toyota pickup with a flatbed and the filler neck was exposed to the weather and sunlight for long enough to make it pretty much fall apart.

My thoughts, as well.

Just want a second opinion to make me feel better about spending $100 on a new one.
I couldn't justify that much for a filler neck tube as well. I RTV the Hell out of it, which isn't necessarily "the" most preferred way of doing it (which is a $175 replacement), so I used a $2.50 repair. It worked flawlessly, and the good thing about it...even if it leaks, you are in no better position than you were before.

Take the bed off, and gel the crap out of it, everywhere you see a crack. It's only used to transfer the fuel from the pump nozzle to your tank...and it traps/holds the gasoline fumes very well.

Easiest to pull the bed off. I can't see from the pictures if I did it yet, or not. You MAY see a lil bit at the bends.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd be content to just leave the system the way it is. However, in my state they pressurize the system to check it for leaks...so even though it's an irrelevant leak, they still failed me.

I'm just trying to be positive and think of it as an excuse to wire-wheel and paint the top of my frame.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be content to just leave the system the way it is. However, in my state they pressurize the system to check it for leaks...so even though it's an irrelevant leak, they still failed me.

I'm just trying to be positive and think of it as an excuse to wire-wheel and paint the top of my frame.
you may want to try what i was going to attempt, but never did obviously, i was going to make a filler neck from couplings and pipe like from auto zone or somewhere that has the "cold air" intake parts on the shelf and use two couplers and the pipe in the center, i just wasnt sure how the silicone would react to the gas

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It might be kind of jenky, but if you just need to pass and don't care about the cracks, take a hose clamp and a piece of bicycle inner-tube, and seal it up.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It might be kind of jenky, but if you just need to pass and don't care about the cracks, take a hose clamp and a piece of bicycle inner-tube, and seal it up.
That's a neat idea...unfortunately as much as I work I don't have time to pull the bed off a second time if it doesn't work, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get it done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals