• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas gauge not working

Southernfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
The gas gauge on my '85 is on empty all the time the only times it moves is when the truck is started or turned off it just goes further below "E" or back to it. Was wondering could it be the gauge broken or the floater in the tank. I have to keep track of my miles everytime I get gas.

:icon_confused:

Last edited:

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
More than likely the reostat on the sending unit, or float, you can check the gauge by testing the tanks reostsat

Last edited:

Southernfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Which is the reostat wire?

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a multi meter with an ohm function, and a manul with the wire color codes

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
On my 84 I was having the same issues. Mine was a bad sending unit. Of course there are no replacements any more either. I ended up swapping tanks with a later model with the fuel pump in tank. Hooked up the wires and it all works again.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine has the same issue.... I did what it shows to do in the video for the anti slosh module.... I didnt even take the cluster all the way out.... was able to get my fingers back in there and get it out.... did the tape and junper wire, put it back in...... no change..... next is to pull my bed off and check stuff at the sender..... if the tank is pretty much empty you could drop the tank I guess.... but one shop I worked at during my 12 years as a mechanic we almost always pulled the bed off instead of wrestling the tank in and out

SimonMarsden

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When the fuel gauge stops working it makes for some frustration and just a bit of concern because nobody wants to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, out of gas! First, make sure that there isn't corrosion on the wire connections and that they are secure. If your gauge's indicator stays on empty when you turn on the ignition, you'll need to check the fuse. If the fuse is good then join the sending
unit connector to ground. If the gauge indicator moves to the full line, replace the sending unit and then replace the wire between the fuel gauge and the sending unit. If the indicator doesn't move then ground the terminal located on the back of the fuel gauge with a jumper wire. Release the wire that connects to the fuel tank's sending unit and make sure there's no worn insulation. If the gauge reads full that usually means there's a problem with the tank unit, not your wiring; take a deep breath and call the mechanic.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
most common on these trucks the fuel gauge issue is usaully caused by the float filling up with fuel and sinking to the bottom....the electrical part of it is still good in most cases, but the only way to replace the float is with a new sending unit

motoman172

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My gas gauge is stuck on Full

I decided to fill up my 89 Bronco II yesterday and since then I have drove over 100 miles but my gauge is still reading full... Actually above Full...

Even when key is off...

suggestions? comments?

Thanks

motoman172

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well gas gauge started working again so I'm figuring it was just in shock from being filled....

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To the OP:

If you end up needing a new sending unit, you won't find one for a ranger. I ended up getting one for a Bronco (II I think). The fuel pick up is a tad too long so I bent it a little. Also had to shop off of the pipe where the fuel line connects. Sounds way harder that it was, but it works. :)

Heads up, while your in there, cut about 6" off of the inner fuel guide hose. It will hit the new sending unit causing it not to work properly. (I know this from experience haha)

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well gas gauge started working again so I'm figuring it was just in shock from being filled....
mother in laws saturn did that..... stuck on full after a fill up..... I drove it and thought it was odd that the gas gauge didnt move....then about 2 miles from home ran out of gas.....I beat on the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet and that fixed it.... hasnt done it since

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals