• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasket kit...?

BOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to replace all my gaskets ie... valve cover, intake manifold head. Did I miss any? Is there a kit that comes with all?

BOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
please, anyone?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Don't be so impatient. It's Monday morning. Most people are at work and won't respond till later in the day.

Yes, you can buy a complete gasket set. I just found THIS on Napa's website. It might be cheaper to find a junkyard engine. Or just replace what's leaking. My 4.0 still has all original gaskets and none of them leak.

BOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry for impatience. I have a 91 and am leaking out of valve cover, oil pan I figured after 190,000mi it couldn't hurt to replace every one. Thank you

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
You are a bit vague here. FELPRO gaskets has a complete engine rebuild kit for the 4.0L that has ever seal/gasket from valve covers to the oil plug seal... if that is what you are looking for? if not my best guess is that you will probaly need to get the ones single for the ones you want to replace. You didn't state if you are tearing down a motor and rebuilding the works. as for top end gasket kits... all i can suggest is you try looking through parts companies websites IE jegs, ... to see what is available. EBAY might also give you an idea of specific kits if they are out there. If you are doing a complete teardown I would talk to a parts store about the FELPRO kit. (I did this during the summer) cost $250.00 (canadian) from a great parts place I deal with.

hope this may help your search.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I see you had responded to this as i was typing my last reply. question... you say that you are leaking from the oilpan... have you washed down the underneath of the motor to take a GOOD look at the oil pan to check from where the oil is coming from? The oilplug drain seal will get brittle after the years and will start leaking from there.

Last edited:

BOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No I have not done that yet. I will probably do that here in a minute. It sounds like what I want to do is a complete tear down. You think you could tell me a little about what is involved in doing that? I think 189,000 is a good time for doing something like that. Huh?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
No I have not done that yet. I will probably do that here in a minute. It sounds like what I want to do is a complete tear down. You think you could tell me a little about what is involved in doing that? I think 189,000 is a good time for doing something like that. Huh?
You want to do a rebuild? what is involved? .... where to start...???

1. and foremost!!!! READ.. READ .. READ.... research what it is you want to do and why you want to do it. then... make a budget ...

2. prepare a place to do the teardown and expect to be without wheels (or the truck) fora couple weeks. (give or take... prepare for set backs)

3. If all you want to do is replace gaskets/seals with out rebuilding the motor prepare for close examination of parts. (budget for unexpected discoveries)

4. Do you know people who are mechanically inclined and have rebuilt motors? sure it is easy to do. and easy to screw up. When i redid mine it was a work in process as time here and there to work on it. I redid it at work and in a HD desiel mech shop where i was able to lay out all the parts and they were safe from being disturbed for periods of time. I had the great advantage of haveing all the specialty tools at my disposal (saved $$$ there) and had the help of 2 mechanics to guide me.

5. Plan it out... read, and be patient. if the motor in question is running strong, my first thought is why tear out this one? why not drive it till it blows. and in the mean time find a spare motor... as in CL parting out or a scrapyard 4.0l and rebuild it while still driving the one that runs... this is actually what i did. pulled a old 4.0l from my old 91 to place into my 92 while i still drove the 92 till the motor was ready to swap out.

hope this helps you.

BOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow. that is a great idea! My engine now runs strong but getting a4.0 from a junkyard and rebuilding that one while driving my truck now... That is a genious idea. Done. Thank you so much.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Wow. that is a great idea! My engine now runs strong but getting a4.0 from a junkyard and rebuilding that one while driving my truck now... That is a genious idea. Done. Thank you so much.
If you can.. get to know the truck you are going to be getting the motor from. This is kinda important, I knew the motor that i rebuilt was a good motor for it was from a truck i have owned for years. this helps to make sure that the block and heads HAVE NOT been cracked or warped... if you can get the history of the donour you will be ahead of the game. NO use in grabbing a block that has been cooked with damaged cylinders or water damage ETC... do some homework and trust me that the more forehand reading you do saves time and money on the backend of the project. if you are going all the way with rebuilding expect to be paying $$$ for your build.

myself I am in for 1800 in motor and extras like new hoses belts ... and back when i built it up i tried to cheap out on injectors, home cleaned them and now it could possibly costing me some down time in the fact that I have taken a good set to a shop to get them recalibrated and cleaned properly. this is something i should have spent the extra $200.00 on the first time around.

What i have learnt most from this experience is that no matter how prepared you think you are to takle the job, you will always find that there is more to learn. READING up on this adventure is the most important thing. following directions and being patient and not hurrying past anything is also very important.

cheers

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals