• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gauge Swap

NPdarkside21

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
My credo
Work Smarter not Harder
I swapped out my original gauge cluster that did not have a tachometer for one out of a 2000 Explorer but the tachometer seems to be stuck at 3k rpm and the speedo is stuck at 30mph. It is currently in a '99 XLT with 2WABS, RWD, Manual transmission. Is this gauge cluster going to work with a simple adjustment or did I waste my time? Also note, I WAS having an issue with the VSS (mounted on Differential) before I swapped the cluster over and could not find the source of the problem (had a thread setup for it and everything but with no luck). Could that issue be causing the problem?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 2000 Explorer cluster should work fine in a 1999 Ranger, plug and play

1996-2003 Rangers and 1996 to 2001 Explorer 4-doors clusters are interchangeable
The 2 door explorers and sports tracs probably not

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a VSS failure in my 2000 2wd that had identical symptoms (limited to 30mph). I'd say you still have a VSS issue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
I had a VSS failure in my 2000 2wd that had identical symptoms (limited to 30mph). I'd say you still have a VSS issue
What are the symptoms of the VSS going out? My speedo has jumped around before. It could just be that I need to clean some junk off of the ABS sensor since my generation gets the speed from ABS readings.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are the symptoms of the VSS going out? My speedo has jumped around before. It could just be that I need to clean some junk off of the ABS sensor since my generation gets the speed from ABS readings.
It's been 15 years since I went through it, but I don't remember any warning signs. I stopped for fuel, and when I pulled out of the gas station the truck was rpm limited and would only hit 30mph. My normally 30 minute drive home took more like an hour.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1998-2000 Rangers the speed signal come from the GEM module, using the signal generated by the ABS rear axle sensor

If rear axle sensor fails outright ABS light should come on and no Speedometer
But it can fail in different ways so ABS module still sees a signal but speedometer is in correct
ABS just looks for sudden drop to close to 0, i.e. locked up rear wheels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
In 1998-2000 Rangers the speed signal come from the GEM module, using the signal generated by the ABS rear axle sensor

If rear axle sensor fails outright ABS light should come on and no Speedometer
But it can fail in different ways so ABS module still sees a signal but speedometer is in correct
ABS just looks for sudden drop to close to 0, i.e. locked up rear wheels
My speed sensor once jumped around while cruising at 60mph and cause my ATX to downshift and freak out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, in a 1995 and up automatic the computer uses the speed signal for shifting to correct gears, so unreliable speed signal would cause some "issues", lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals