• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gauges

bumblebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, im not sure if anyone has asked this before or not im sure someone probly has im kinda new though and still trying to figure out how to work the fourms.
So here is my deal i have a 1989 ford ranger xlt extra cab amd i absolutly hate the stock gauges that ford put in the ranger and expoler. I am takeing the gauge cluster out of a 94 expoler (yes i know they are the same) the reason y is my odomater only goes up to, 99,999 and the expolers goes to 999,999 and i am taking the motor and tranny out of the expoler and i want the correct millage. but my main question is, is there any way that a guy can get rid of the gay gauge cluster and go either digital or run a gauge setup with like auto meter gauges. I know it probly sounds weird as to y some one would want to do this but i want a compltely custom gauge setup and thought it would be cool to do. but i will only do it if it has a clean look to it and doesnt look like some one just did a hack job on the dash.
P.S i know my spelling and grammer is not the greatest but any help on my question is gratly apprciated thanks travis

Decker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont think it's weird at all. Here's what I would do.

1) Pick up a used cluster from the wrecking yard.
2) Take some good measurements of the inside of the plastic cover,
3) Cut out some .25 alum plate in the exact dimensions you took down
4) plan out a gauge layout with cardboard circles.
5) use hole saws to make the gauge holes
6) hollow out the spare gauge cluster, cutting where needed to fit the aftermarket guages, connect everything
7) Mount the clear plastic to the alum panel (so the dash trip still lines up)
8) Crack a beer and enjoy

bumblebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
u know what that sounds like it just might work and i guess im in luck cause i have the culster outa my 89 ranger and my 94 expoler so i wont have to go to the jy for parts thanks for the idea man ive been pulling my hair out trying to think of away to go to some auot meter gauges i think the custom look would make the interior of the truck look 10 times btr and with the aluminum plateing i could polish that out and make her shine like a dimond lol well thanks this is very helpfull if i get this to work i will post a few pics

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals