• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gearing for 44" tires?

michowski

Reaction score
This sure puts a new meaning on how good can you really drive a stick lol. Dude dont do it on your axles. Upgrade them to at least the ford 9" front and rear. I hope you got a bumper big enough to stay in your state lift laws as well. For a DD this is the worst thing you can do. Probly get 6 mpg, get tickets daily, snapping driveline parts on a regular basis. Yes it can be done but theres no reason to do it unless you just won a 50 million dollar lottery and have to much money. I would advise not doing it.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Upgrade them to at least the ford 9" front and rear.
The conversion of a 9" to a front axle is a pretty involved process I hear :D

Actually I had a friend working on one for his senior design project, I have no idea what came out of that, Todd might know.

michowski

Reaction score
The conversion of a 9" to a front axle is a pretty involved process I hear :D

Actually I had a friend working on one for his senior design project, I have no idea what came out of that, Todd might know.
If he is gonna be taking the time to install 44"s on his ranger I figured he would be able to put a 9" up front.

ignerntkneece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
44's under a Ranger, it can be done, but it is going to take a bit of work. As for the Ford 8.8 holding up, the larger tire size is like putting a long breaker bar on your axle shaft, horse power is not needed to break stuff. If you swapped in a 31 spline Ford 8.8 with chromoly shafts, you could probably get away with 40's, but that is a little bit of a stretch. As for the D44 holding up in front, it will hold up until you put it into 4WD.

I am actually planning on building up my Mazda with the target tire size being around 40's. The front axle needs to be pushed forward, as does the rear axle to maintain a reasonable turning radius. Steering should be either hydro assist (recommended for street vehicles) or full hydro (if you want to put a bunch of money into it). Gearing, go as deep as you can, would recommend running a doubler. As far as suspension, that is kinda up to you, I just recommend keeping it as low as possible for stability.

I have been pulling parts together for my rig for some time now. I have a completely dressed 5.0, an NP435, a BW1356, an NP205, and a set of D60's. Even with all of these parts, I figure that it will still take between $20,000 to $25,000 to put my rig together the way I want it.

It can be done, just takes a bit of research/time/money/work to pull it all together.

hick
I do understand its gonna take some money. i'm gonna try to keep my 8.8 i dk yet i may get a 9 inch. as far as front axles? what comes with axles that big under them f-450? I'm still brain storming... i don't plan on using the truck for a trail rig i'm biulding a show truck? it ain't my daily driver so i ain't really worried if i break a rear end i'll just have to upgrade.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do understand its gonna take some money. i'm gonna try to keep my 8.8 i dk yet i may get a 9 inch. as far as front axles? what comes with axles that big under them f-450? I'm still brain storming... i don't plan on using the truck for a trail rig i'm biulding a show truck? it ain't my daily driver so i ain't really worried if i break a rear end i'll just have to upgrade.
look man, show truck or not.....you aint gonna win any shows if u dont make it to them. and if u dont understand even the kind of crange that 44" tires that will bring, u need to get urself out into a REAL wheelin world, and see what happens,
i see far too many times people breaking with friggin 5 ton rears on 44" tires.....

the ONLY axle i know that MAY hold up 100% is a set of unimog's, and that will always be a plus on the show circut cause there cool as shit to look at

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol..........that thing would prolly explode if he gave more then 1/8 throttle

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
just do it.

get some 3/4 ton shit and do it. GET IT DONE

easiest route, would be an open 14 bolt out back from a c@C

and a 79 ford 150 housing with 3/4 ton outers if you want coils along with its brackets and a 6/8 in lift kit for a 79 150...make buckets to work with the springs... or better a 3/4 ton or one ton leaf setup and some soft ride 6 inch chevy springs.

get hi steer arms and the steering isnt too bad as you can still run joints with tapped tube and not move the steering box. but i strongly suggest full hydro cause its the best for the street and 44's...real solid in feel compared to conventional.

for your stated use...
if you want to keep the fenders intact, you will have to go real high and this adds alot of stress and other hazards to even a street only aplication, if you mod the fenders you can actually make a real decent rig road wise with these parts for under 2500 to 3 grand not including the rubber.

what do you have access too?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
oh...and one thing to keep in mind...

in general...
1200 hp drag racing is pussy shit compared to 4 wheel drive stuff as far as stress is concerned.

i have learned that the hard way. 160 hp will destroy d60s wheeling...

900 hp at a strip just dont get to doing that very often.

and to everyone else.....he stated use a primary mall crawling....so really a explorer 8.8 with 8 lug pattern would get it....just have to put fresh spiders in every 3rd oil change:D

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
oh...and one thing to keep in mind...

in general...
1200 hp drag racing is pussy shit compared to 4 wheel drive stuff as far as stress is concerned.

i have learned that the hard way. 160 hp will destroy d60s wheeling...

900 hp at a strip just dont get to doing that very often.
Exactly what I meant.

metalmacguyver said:
Sure an 8.8 can hold up to 1000HP when its spinning drag slicks in an application that doesnt have intense shock loads when spinning tires and wheels that are designed to be as light as possible.

But think about what will happen when you have a tiny 8.8 or D44 with 300lbs of spinning tire and wheel on it and one side grabs.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
look man, show truck or not.....you aint gonna win any shows if u dont make it to them. and if u dont understand even the kind of crange that 44" tires that will bring, u need to get urself out into a REAL wheelin world, and see what happens,
i see far too many times people breaking with friggin 5 ton rears on 44" tires.....

the ONLY axle i know that MAY hold up 100% is a set of unimog's, and that will always be a plus on the show circut cause there cool as shit to look at
Breaking 5 ton rears with 44's? Exactly how many times have you personally seen this?

As for running unimogs, there are almost as many varieties of mogs as there are danas (slight exaggeration but you get my point).

Stock axles are not made to hold up to 44's, you will have to build up whatever axle you plan on running. Yes rockwells and mogs are pretty stout stock, but they are not without their flaws.

hick

ignerntkneece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm very thankful for the info... i haven't bought anything yet or made any big plans... i'll keep all this in mind.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
pick up a set of 2 1/2 ton rockwell axles with 6.72s they are pretty cheap, try to find some with spicer joints they area bit stronger. you wont break em, but you can kiss any dreams of doing more then 50mph away due to your 4.0L, the truck would be gutless. my dad built a rig with rockwells and a 4.0L in it but he had a dual t-case setup and his top speed was about 20MPH no good on the street. he ran 52/16R20's for transprting it and then for off-road use he had a choice between firestone 66/44's or rolagon 44 tall 66 wide flotation tires

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Breaking 5 ton rears with 44's? Exactly how many times have you personally seen this?

As for running unimogs, there are almost as many varieties of mogs as there are danas (slight exaggeration but you get my point).

Stock axles are not made to hold up to 44's, you will have to build up whatever axle you plan on running. Yes rockwells and mogs are pretty stout stock, but they are not without their flaws.

hick

ive seen this personally about a dozen times between wheeling here in jersey and goin down to florida for mudfest(well when u could)

its all about how hard u wheel it.....if u arent breakin u arent tryin hard enough

cbluepit

September OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ive seen this personally about a dozen times between wheeling here in jersey and goin down to florida for mudfest(well when u could)

its all about how hard u wheel it.....if u arent breakin u arent tryin hard enough
first of all you cant fit a 16.5 on a 5ton unless you have 0 backspacing . second i highly doubt 44's are gonna break a 2" axles , 18.4x26 which are 57" tall have only broke two that i know of . third the arent to many people running 5 tons at mudfest i only know of 4 people and 1 of them is running 66terra tires . not trying to be dick but know what your saying before you speak . oh who is running them in jersey im curious ?

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
i don't plan on just buying just gears for my stock 8.8, i mean a mustang has an 8.8 under it hell most people change the irs out from under a 03-04 cobra and put a 8.8. and the bottom end in them cars can hold 1000 hp! on a 8.8 rear end. whats the big difference? 170 hp and 44s against 6, 7, 8 hundred hp and drag slics? i plan on puttin mosier axles front and rear! this ain't gonna be no trail rig... its just gonna be a weekend warrior. i mean if i start breakin alot i'll have to upgrade, i just asked a simple question cause i figured yall knew a little bought stuff like that. I have learned what i have to do and i plan on doin it in about 6 months when i pay my 2002 king ranch f-150 off. Oh i live in SOUTH CAROLINA for those who asked!!! u want some come get some!!!
dear dickhead,

you obliviously dont know what a 200lb tire can do to the pencil axles in a 28 spline 8.8. heck one of the jeep guys i know runs a 31 spline 8.8 on 37inch iroks and has snapped shafts. read this http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axleguide.html
other than the front d60 being slightly under rated its COMPLETELY correct. NOTE they say 35 inch tires max. for the d44, you want to go 11 inches more!
read up and learn before you start asking retarded questions of the good folks around here.

o yea, comparing a mustang to a wheeling rig just dosent work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals