• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gearing for 44" tires?

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
not trying to start crap or anything but i am pretty sure the weight of the tire does effect stress on the axle, consider one of those 44''s spinning (with an open diff) then suddenly grabbing: that energy will be transfered into the ground and truck yes but also into the driveshaft and opposite axleshaft. if the truck were in neutral then it wouldnt hurt anything but with the power being supplied from the engine in that scenario you will have the momentum/inertia of the moving tire fighting against the inertia of the opposite tire through the axleshafts. I may be wrong but im pretty sure about that.

ignerntkneece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
?

Geeze how old is this tread? I posted this before i hadn't done any research? I need at least a dana 60 and ima run a windsor motor i think...

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0 aint gonna do shit with 44's..
neither are the axles your running

you need a Big block and rockwells

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0 aint gonna do shit with 44's..
neither are the axles your running

you need a Big block and rockwells
no u dont.....would it be nice, ya, but u dont NEED a big block and rockwells to spin 44's, ive runn 44's on 1/2 ton gear with a small block and a c4 before and it would light up the tires no problems....would i reccomend anyone else try it, no, thats why some low geared 1 tons will be fine with the 4.0, especially for show use

ignerntkneece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no u dont.....would it be nice, ya, but u dont NEED a big block and rockwells to spin 44's, ive runn 44's on 1/2 ton gear with a small block and a c4 before and it would light up the tires no problems....would i reccomend anyone else try it, no, thats why some low geared 1 tons will be fine with the 4.0, especially for show use

Yea it may be fine except i ripped 3rd gear out with my new ram clutch i put in it... that ram grabs hard!!! So the transmission ain't much good anymore... I'm not keeping that weak v-6 ima get a v-8 i was thinkin about turboing the 4.0 but thats more than i wanna deal with.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well, a d44/60 combo from a 250 will be cheaper and easier to find and mall crawl with the best of them.

though i suggest a 5.3/6.0 gm low mile setup and 60/14 bolt if you can swing it.

or do a 6.2/6.5 diesel....banks turbo....economy mall cwawlinz.:thefinger:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
if i try really hard i can get 13+ with the smallblock mall crawlin...

trying really hard the 6.5 should do 18+ mall crawlin...

not bad for a 4x4 on 35's that a stock counterpart cant pass.

at 4 bux for 87 oct and 5 bux for diesel its still cheaper to run the oil burner...especially for me. 30 percent or better of my fuel is low cost..:D

TrucksGetDirty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
This is so stupid.

If I saw those 44's and they never went muddin, I would slap the owner, take the truck and go use if for what it's made for. Making up for what you lack with a big truck, very sad.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This is so stupid.

If I saw those 44's and they never went muddin, I would slap the owner, take the truck and go use if for what it's made for. Making up for what you lack with a big truck, very sad.
True. I think that the original poster for this thread had a lot of pie-in-the-sky ideas, and no plans or means to carry it out. It takes more than than a lift to run 40's...

hick

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i have to agree, it is a shameless waste of good tires....and would only be further a waste if a front 60 was involved.

but. its his right. and to run 40's or 44's is a pretty simple deal for mall crawlin. way simple with no serious abuse on the menu.

if thats what the guy wants then i dont see a reason not to help em to his goals.

the tires if actually purchased new with wheels will cost much much more then the axle swap and steering setup to safely handle them for mall use..

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
all i can say is do it right the first time, and no shortcuts. Put a real engine in there. Small tires = small engine and big tires = big engine. Sure you can do it other ways, but its not the right way.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
all i can say is do it right the first time, and no shortcuts. Put a real engine in there. Small tires = small engine and big tires = big engine. Sure you can do it other ways, but its not the right way.
for mall crawlin? right way?

i dunno. i can run 44 in tires no problem with my low rider 4x4 ranger. it runs down the road ok. its definatly not what i want, but i change shit up as time allows.

cause sitting in the garage for two years is not something i can do. i like to use it.

its a multi use 4x4 and not for mall crawlin so it gets setup for whatever i want when i want.

for the street i run 33's....trails go 35-38 general. i can use 44's now(since last fall) simply cause i can, but thats just for mud. i have had guys comment on running my rig just recently on the little tires. driving 200 miles a day to go to work. seems to me a guy would have to be a fawking retard to run a big any kind of tire or have a assload of income to run 200 miles a day so the rig looked "right". in which i dont think a ranger would be something one would want to build with that kind of income. i am guessing alot of ranger guys arent usually making 120 g a year and just bored living in thier house thats been paid off for 10 years:dntknw:.

i do know too many ruthless rbv based rigs running forties plus for tires gettin it awn hard with stock powertrains, (though doubled) and fawkin 60 parts up. so in my experience to say you need a big block and rockwells to run 44's is not right in itself.

for all i know it could have been you that said i wasnt doing it right. guy had the balls to tell me it was a waste of a 60 to put tiny tires on it. and a double waste to put it in such a small truck;missingteeth; so no credibility for that clown right off the bat...

i mean, if a guy cant tell by looking at that hunk of shit i try to pass off as a truck, that i run large tires on it to beat the balls off it, its hard for me to take any comment seriously. especially a guy with a 4bbl bb chevy that lives 2 miles from the hole he runs it in with a 12 bolt and 10 bolt front on 38's....

fawkin thing wouldnt make it on a real trail...

but hey, it least it was done right!!!!!! at least to him.

yeah right, for mall crawling.

its all in perspective and actual use.

guy came right out and stated mall crawler.

seemed obvious. 3/4 ton axles and no front shaft for mall crawlin is even needed..

:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals