• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going on a big road trip soon

_@_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going from nj to Idaho to arizona back to NJ soon. My trucks at 175k and I've had it for about 12k miles. I've changed the oil a couple times and the air filter and the brakes.

so my questions are:
  • what maintenance things should I do/check/look at before I go?
  • Suggestions to boost mpgs?
  • any ideas for good places to see between nj, id and az?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
That's good haul!!! Back in '85 I drove from San Fran to Tampa in my '83
4wd 2.8 Litre Ranger and that was a fun trip. I had put on a suspension lift and 33 tires and gear changes just before the trip. That was a great driving truck. I had all my military gear packed in the rear. It was a single cab and not much to store in the cab...lol

What was really funny was I flew back to San Fran and still had my 83 Z28 out there and I went back to sea for about a year. While I was away my dad used my truck all the time. He could haul his boat, go hunting with a buddy and got to pick up yard stuff as well. He really liked my Ranger!!! When I got back home with my Z28 he would take my mom out to dinner and a weekend vacation get away!!! I thought that was really funny!!!

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the A/C is working properly!! I'd check tranny fluid, diff fluids, tcase fluids before a drive like that. Tranny cooler if you have an auto tranny if it does not already have one or pose a threat on that year. Coolant flush, check all the lines and connections. Nothin worse than being stuck out in the middle of a desert... I hate arizona, bad luck there for me. But one thing that is fun is prairie dog shooting. If your into that type of thing.

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
If it were me, I would check the timing belt before I left. Nothing like pulling out of the dive and having that break on you. Just pull the cover back and see if it is cracked at all and if it is have someone bump the engine over little by little to see the whole thing.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tires.
Make sure they are aired up properly. and the oil and stuff doh.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely drop your spare and check the tire pressure in it... I'd also recommend you get another tire as a spare, just in case, never hurts to have two spares when you're going that far.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
November in Arizona... don't think you'll need the ac much. but the trip should be lots of fun for you. if yours has an auto, might consider a flush and filter replacement.
i make a habit of checking all the wheels and hubs when refueling to make sure all the bearings are running cool, but that's just me.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I said a/c I meant the heater and the whole unit. Sorry, I drive a pos Bii and the a/c system is about the only thing that works like it should. :p

Mike Tonon

You're going to Idaho? You should go to New Orleans, its Marty-Graw time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

_@_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Straykat- sounds like a good time. I wish i could get gas at 1985 prices!

Kolton- My a/c has been broken since I bought the truck haha. I think i'll skip that, but will check the other things.

rangerluver- will do.

02RangerXLT- Good Idea. I've got bad luck with flat tires so I'm gonna get some fixaflat and a 12v compressor as well.

Strvger- How do I check the bearings?

Mike- one of my best friends moved to Idaho and I might be going to a school out there so mardi gras will have to wait for the next trip lol.

Thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming!

Mike Tonon

Sorry, couldn't resist. I just saw that movie 'Moving', with Richard Prior. Anyone here ever see it?

8302ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep your windows up and your tailgate down, if that's a possibility. Also, if you have cruise control, us it ( just not in the rain ) and the biggest one would be to keeper under 105 kph ( 60 mph ) or wherever your sweet spot is. All basic stuff!

Last but not least, have fun and enjoy the ride!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lots of stuff out there to see, depends on which route you use. Probably run into snow this time of the year at the higher elevations. Think some of the ski slopes have opened already. Lots of not much from the Mississippi Rvier West for several hundred miles. Like was said "Have fun and enjoy"!
Dave

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I see you have a 4.0 like me... The sweet spot for my ranger is 80mph... honestly. Came back from Colorado to Omaha and I got an average 20mpg... no shitting you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals