• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going shopping... will these parts work together?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

I'm going shopping at the pick and pull Sunday to get some parts for my 302 swap and wondering how all this will work together...

My engine is a stock '91 speed density Crown Vic motor. This motor is just going to be in the truck for a year or so while I build another motor, but I want to get the wiring and fuel lines that I plan to run installed now instead of using a speed density crown vic motor now and Explorer stuff later.

I want to get:

Explorer upper and lower intake
Explorer throttle body
Explorer TPS
Explorer return style fuel rails
Explorer injectors
Explorer throttle body (unless something else would be better)
Stock HO cam
Computer from ? (My brother has a Moates and says he can program a computer for me, I'm not familiar with the set up though.

So, will this stuff work with the Crown Vic motor?

How well would the Explorer stuff work with a built up engine with a fairly big cam and nice heads?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, to all, but grab the Explorer cam too. I'd get the whole motor, not just parts, you'll pay less for the whole thing than buying individual parts. The Explorer cam is only a hair less in duration from the HO. Lift on the intake side is .030 less, and the same on the exhaust. A set of 1.7 rockers will boost the lift numbers by .030.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I would use Mustang wiring and ECU, with a
distributor.
The Ex tb is good, it's 65mm. It's easy to modify
if you don'want to use the Ex 90degree elbow.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Well I went to the pick-n-pull and out of 9 5.0 Explorers only 1 still had the intake on it. It was smashed in the front... all accessories, pulleys, timing cover, etc were trashed... this engine sat about a foot farther back than it should have. I asked how much for an ntake, and they said $37. I also asked how much heads are, and they said $55 each. A complete motor is $255. I figured the other stuff couldn't cost too much, right? So I pull the intake, injectors, fuel rail, and throttle body... and find out that will cost me $178!!! I left the stuff there, although I should have stripped the intake bare and bought it for $37.

The next day I go to a different junkyard and I can get the intake, tb, fuel rail, and injectors for $100, and heads for $25 each. All 11 of the 5.0 Explorers were stripped already.

I did find a 5.7 Vortec computer for $20 to use in my Vortec S-10 swap, and I also found a few other small things for my Suburban, so it wasn't a completely wasted trip.

They had an old '71 F-something there with a 302 that I grabbed the exhaust manifolds off of.

I was thinking... what if I throw this truck together with what I've got, I may have one of the cheapest V8 swapped Rangers, although it wouldn't be much more powerful than the 4.0 that was in there.

$400 for the truck, a '93 supercab with power everything in the cab and a NEW set of GoodYear tires. I'll get about $50 scrap for the 4.0 when I haul it away, so I'm at $350 for the truck.

$150 for a complete running Crown Vic 5.0 with wiring harness and computer.

$100 for a recently rebuilt AOD

$20 for exhaust manifolds

$??? for exhaust

So I'm at $350 for the truck, and $270 for the 5.0/AOD swap. If I can get a good deal on some exhaust, I may have less than a grand in the complete truck and swap lol.

Are these the manifolds that will work? Does anyone have a pic of them installed with exhaust ran?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember they had some pics of them in the tech library, dunno how detailed they were.

Hedman 88400's are pretty cheap ($160) and fit like a glove. Probably the best fitting parts of anything on my swap so far.

I have the same non-HO 5.0 that you do (only carbed) and was going to use 289 manifolds (that look a lot like what you have) but decided that while I am here and having an exhaust made, it would be handy to have that behind me if I decide to play with cams and crank out a little more power down the road. Not to mention I think install is easier when you can pick the engine out of the engine bay and swing it to one side for more room without pulling the heater box again.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

I was thinking I saw a pic of the exhaust manifolds somewhere, and it was in the tech library http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.html although the driver side manifold pictured is different than what I have.

Which will make the engine sit lower, Mustang mounts or plates with the 4.0 mounts?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
.Which will make the engine sit lower, Mustang mounts or plates with the 4.0 mounts?
2wd guys seem pretty happy with the stang mounts.

Personally after using them on my 4x4 I would go with the 4.0 mounts so I could adjust engine height by moving them up and down on the crossmember. I had to shim the heck out of mine to get the oil pan off the crossmember... but it was a 4wd and that is all set up different than a 2wd.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
I'm new to the area that I live in now, so I haven't used any exhaust shops around here, but my last Ranger exhaust was around $700. I called an exhaust shop around here and he said about $300 for duals out the back, my choice of glass pack, turbo, or quiet mufflers. Flowmasters add $100.

I'm really thinking of dropping in this Crown Vic motor all stock with an AOD and running the exhaust manifolds with the $300 exhaust. Ugh... I don't know, the 460 is tempting too...

I'm also getting parts together for a 5.7 Vortec swap into a late 90's S-10... it should be pretty quick.

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used late 60s 289 mannifolds in my 86 that look almost the same for my crown vic install and they fit with room to spare. I only have one pic though but you get the idea.

Attachments

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I would check the P2V clearence if you are going to use a HO cam on the Crown vic engine. We put one in a Crown Vic engine and around 4500 the pistons and valves started having a fight and the pistons won. In other words the pistons and valves hit once the engine hit about 4500 rpm. I am not sure if all CV's use the same pistons but we had an issue doing the HO cam in one.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Thanks for the pic bearsrngr!

Yeah fordmike1, this Vic motor is starting to bug me. For it to be a good (strong) motor would take quite a bit of work and money, and then I feel inclined to just put my 460 in there before messing with the 302.

I'm thinking I'll just run the Vic motor stock... keep it low power and low dollar, and hopefully it will be dependable and easy on the gas. It's got some more torque than the old 4.0, and the AOD is a lot better transmission than what was in there. If I build a strong small block in the future it won't take much work to change the wiring and fuel lines.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would check the P2V clearence if you are going to use a HO cam on the Crown vic engine. We put one in a Crown Vic engine and around 4500 the pistons and valves started having a fight and the pistons won. In other words the pistons and valves hit once the engine hit about 4500 rpm. I am not sure if all CV's use the same pistons but we had an issue doing the HO cam in one.
Using the HO cam in the Vic motor shouldn't have been an issue at all. This is the same combination of parts Ford used in the 86 Stang HO motor, albeit with forged pistons instead of cast. I suspect the cam timing probably was the culprit here.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

I was thinking I saw a pic of the exhaust manifolds somewhere, and it was in the tech library http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.html although the driver side manifold pictured is different than what I have.

Which will make the engine sit lower, Mustang mounts or plates with the 4.0 mounts?

If you want a better drivers side manifold, I have a 70's 351W (similar to the 289 Hipo part) piece that I'll part with ..................cheap.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
By "better" do you mean it will flow better or fit better?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
I want to put my 302 on the engine stand to change the oil pan gasket, is it ok to put it on with the aluminum spacer plate still on it? I dont want to crush the aluminum.
Will I still be able to change the pan gasket?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals