• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going to V8 swap my Ranger. HELP!

pnemec22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone, I'm looking to swap my 2011 2.3 Ranger with a 4.6 or a 5.0. I've read the articles about swapping with the explorer 5.0 and that being the easiest swap. I'm not finding an explorer 5.0 worth it so I was thinking about an alternate route. Maybe a 4.6 out of a crown vic. Debating buying one now out of a 06. Should I follow the same guidelines as the 5.0 swap? I'm a bit in over my head and looking for all the help I can get. Thanks, much appreciated!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Sell the 2011 Ranger and get a 1995 to 2003 Ranger for the swap
The 2004 to 2011 Ranger have a full digital system so you can't do swaps easily, basically you have to gut the cab wiring and put in 2003 or earlier wiring
People have done it, but deep pockets, and lots of wiring experience and working with Ford Modules

And no on the 4.6l, or any Overhead cam V8s, they are too wide for Ranger engine bay

The 302(5.0l OHV) is 19" wide and barely fits between Heater air box and steering shaft
4.6l SOHC is 26" wide, DOHC is 30" wide
5.0l Coyote is 28" wide

Also the height of engine, 302 is 21" high, 4.6l is 26" to 30"
But you could do a 5" body lift, but the width is the real killer, can't make it wider

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ron is right, the 11 will be difficult to get wired up with the swap. 98-03 are the best. And if you need to pass emissions, then you need a 2001 or earlier.

There are a couple of guys who have managed to swap in the 4.6 sohc, but they had to give up the air conditioning, and custom-make steering shafts, headers, and more so its a difficult swap.

pnemec22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I really want to hold on to the truck. Just did a bunch of body work to it. It also holds a certain sentimental value to me. Would I have the same wiring issues if I went with a 4L V6 or 5.0? Again really appreciate the info. Really want to get this truck running again with more power than the 2.3.

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you really want to do that on the 2011, I would find a wrecked F-150 or Explorer with a 2.7 EcoBoost, or possibly a 2.3 EcoBoost from a newer Ranger. You will need to swap all of the dash including gauge cluster, all modules and wiring to make it work.

pnemec22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounding like because of the year going back with the 2.3 is my safest bet. Would a turbo be a hassel as well?

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I may get laughed at for suggesting this, but why not swap in a 4.0 v-6? It should be mostly bolt in, and you could put the moddbox supercharger on it without too much trouble.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a lot of work, but it's up to you if it is worth it.

pnemec22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I may get laughed at for suggesting this, but why not swap in a 4.0 v-6? It should be mostly bolt in, and you could put the moddbox supercharger on it without too much trouble.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a lot of work, but it's up to you if it is worth it.
I would but wondering if I would have the same wiring issue with the whole cab rewiring. That's definitely an option I would go with if I don't have to do all that rewiring.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
because of the year, for sure the 2.3 will be the least hassle. and of course, as mentioned above, emissions requires you to use a 2011 or newer donor in a lot of states. (might actually be all because i have never looked in the federal regulations on that stuff).

as far as turbo, i have no idea to help you on that part. it sounds cool though. or maybe a centrifugal supercharger instead of a roots type? roots is the old mount on top style where a centrifugal is like a turbo that runs off a belt instead of the exhaust

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't think a 4.0 swap would require a whole cab rewire if it was from the same year, however it would require swapping ecu and other computers.

Best way to do it, if you can, find a vehicle with the exact powertrain you want and buy it. That way you 100% have all the parts you will need to make it work, take what you need to get everything working, then sell whatever is left over to recover the costs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A 2005 4.0l SOHC engine/transmission and computer/cluster and engine wiring harness would be almost plug and play with 2011 2.3l

2005 was the only later year Ranger that has no PATS(passive anti-theft system), Ford skipped this one year in Rangers

As said the computer and instrument clusters on 2004 to 2011 Rangers are Matched Pairs, so have to be swapped as Pairs
The engine/trans and wiring harness should be from the same year as the computer/cluster as Ford changed the computer connector in 2007 to 3 connector style

If 2005 was used there would need to be some re-pinning of connectors with 2011 harness

pnemec22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A 2005 4.0l SOHC engine/transmission and computer/cluster and engine wiring harness would be almost plug and play with 2011 2.3l

2005 was the only later year Ranger that has no PATS(passive anti-theft system), Ford skipped this one year in Rangers

As said the computer and instrument clusters on 2004 to 2011 Rangers are Matched Pairs, so have to be swapped as Pairs
The engine/trans and wiring harness should be from the same year as the computer/cluster as Ford changed the computer connector in 2007 to 3 connector style

If 2005 was used there would need to be some re-pinning of connectors with 2011 harness
So I could use a 2004-2011 4.0L donor with no cab rewire? 2005 being the easiest. Just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 2005 would be best year with no PATS for the computer and cluster, and engine wiring harness

There are ALWAYS some wiring difference between EVERY YEAR, on all vehicles, lol, not a Ford thing
And 4cyl wiring would obviously be different than V6 wiring, but mostly taken care of by engine wiring harness swap

Ford used a one connector 104 wire plug for computer thru 2006, in 2007 they switched to a THREE connector plug for a three connector computer
So a few wires will need to be re-pinned if you use a 2006 or older computer

If you use a 2007-2011 computer then no re-pinning.............maybe, as said above there are ALWAYS Changes, and you would need to re-program PATS

You need to get a 2011 Ford Ranger "Wiring Diagram" book, Ford makes these and sends them out to Dealer Shops every year for every model, with the "Shop Manual Set" for that model
The "Wiring diagram" book is often sold separately
2011 book looks like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qgEAAOSwAzZdl19Q/s-l300.jpg

It shows location and colors of all wires that one year for that one model, "Ranger", also includes different engine sizes and options wiring for that model

Then you would also get the same Ford book but for the YEAR of the Donor vehicle

These are often sold on ebay, and they are basically "free" because you would sell them, usually for what you paid for them, when you are done using them

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If you want a coyote.....put a coyote in it.

You stand alone the system and install it wherever you want.....lawn tractor....rototiller....Corvette....whatever.

The digital systems and wiring in the truck now, will only be a problem if you are desiring to work within the oem footprint...

which...

if you are considering a v8 swap .....it would seem an easy compromise.

Throw all of that crap in the trash.

Put your own stuff in there....or use older dash.

Keeping the srs and abs may be easier as well to retrofit earlier units if that is a concern.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals