• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gravity bleed clutch

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Can you gravity bleed a clutch? I just want to put new fluid in. Its a 88 B2.

igiveup

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
If you are simply wanting to flush out the old fluid, then the gravity bleeding process works fine. Just open the bleeder, preferably with a hose attached and routed into a catch bottle, and let it drain while keeping a close eye on the res to prevent it getting empty.
This method also works well for getting air out of the system, provided the system isn't setup like the later model ranger, where the lines going into/out of the master are lower than the plunger. Even on these systems, it's an effective method of flushing out the old fluid, as I just done it on my 95 about a month or so back.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Thankyou and I will let you know how it works after I am done upgrading the brakes to 10" Areostar rears.

igiveup

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Gravity bleeding is rather slow, but is also effective for the brake system. It can be done 1 wheel at a time, or all 4 at once, using the same method. Just be aware that doing all 4 at once will cause the res to drain that much quicker, so extra attention needs to paid to it.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I have been doing it on brakes for over 20 years. Clutch bleeding is new for me.

igiveup

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just make sure not to let it get too low. If you get any air in the line, you'll have to remove the clutch master to get it out because of the angle it sits in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals