• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hard to get in 1st or 2nd gear when stopped

Wish2345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 2.3L ranger and the 5 spd tranny is giving me fits. When i am at a complete stop it doesnt want to go into 1st or 2nd with out some force. Once i get it in gear and start moving it shifts fine. When i am rolling to to a stop i can put the truck in 1st or 2nd with out any issues. Also goes in gear fine when the engine is off. Does this sound like the slave/master cylinder issue?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine does the exact same thing and it's an 07.

I have no idea why so I'm curious to see what people say.

My best guess is something to do with the synchros and engine revs.

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I had a problem similar to this, couldn't put in 1st or any gear, with the exception that clutch fluid was all around/inside bell housing, and the clutch did not lift completely off the floor. This turned out to be a busted slave cylinder. Not to mention it was on the HWY!! Got out pushed it and slammed it into gear, once the slave cylinder was replaced transmission feels like brand new. But this was on a 1988 Ranger w/FM146.....don't know if this will help, but hope so.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals