• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone on here Camd a 2.8 in a ranger!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/89
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.8lt v6 2.5lt four bangr
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone on here ever camed a 2.8 out of anything.. did it sound any different? I want to do sumthing to my truck no one has ever done to a ford ranger..or is there any other engines people havent put in there rangers.I might trying putting sumthing kool in the 2.8s place

/

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It wouldn't be worth it in my opinion, spend that money on either a 4.0 or better gearing

jhammel85

I don't see a point to be honest. Especially if you aren't durasparked.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If I am reading right, yeah, it been done before. There's even a book that covers performance 60 degree V6s written by Sven Pruett, and a lot of the information pertains to the 2.8L. Know there's a few people on this board that are running cammed 2.8Ls.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had one some time ago in a Rustang (smaller cam bore diameters) and never regretted it. Key to doing it though is get the Sven Pruett book and read it... and I mean well! There are many mods to be done to the engine's top end to improve the reliability. First and foremost is the cooling mod. Works WONDERS! He does dive into the area of flow characteristics and how to improve on them too. The other thing to do, and it's a must... change that POS Motorcrap carburetor. Bolt on a Holly 350cfm 2 bbl carb and don't look back! If you're feeling real spendy, find the offenhauser 4bbl manifold and get a Holly 390cfm carb.
I could go on and on... but best just find (if you can) the book.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you want to do something that no one has ever done to a Ranger, I'm pretty sure you are gonna need to go book it passage on the next space shuttle flight.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I know one thing that has never been done to a ranger, but I am keeping the idea for myself.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I want to do sumthing to my truck no one has ever done to a ford ranger..

/
Good luck on that one. The Rangers been around almost 30 years now. If you can think of it, someone has probably already done it.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone on here ever camed a 2.8 out of anything.. did it sound any different? I want to do sumthing to my truck no one has ever done to a ford ranger..

I have done lots to my trucks over the years!!! My 99 Ranger has an aftermarket camshaft in it and port and polished heads!!! But lets talk about my 83 4x4 Ranger!!!
Back in 86 I had my 83 Ranger 2.8 L. I bought it one year old in California while I was stationed at Coronado. I had access to my buddies machine shop out there so I did a lot of neat things. I went ahead and installed a stage II cam from (I believe it was Racer Walsh). I ported and polished the heads and put better rocker arms and push rods in the motor as well and swapped to a 4 barrel carb and aluminum intake (Offenhauser). It took me about two days to do the install and test it out to make sure it ran good before I went off to Moab with 4 buddies and their Toyota's and Jeeps. The truck ran like a bat out of hell. I then added a set of headers (I can't remember what the were. I bought them from a local speed shop). I had about $900.00 in the Ranger by then.
Since I was Military I did not have to get it smog tested the next year. I had my dad register it in Florida for me and send me a Florida tag. Back then you could do things like that. I kept that truck for over 10 years before I sold it. I never had any issues with it. I ran 33x12.5 tires and ran 5:56 gears if my memory serve me correct. That was one great truck. I sold it to a real cute girl one day in Tampa...because she kept leaving me notes on the truck around town!!! 'Please sell me this truck!!!! I have cash and I am a girl that wants this size truck with the exact things you have on it!!!! Please'!!!! She left about 20 notes on my truck in various locations. Even at my parents house while I was deployed a couple of times while stationed at USSOCOM in Tampa!! Darn cute girl stalkers!!! lol
I drove it from San Diego to Tampa and stopped off along the way to wheel it and enjoy the truck at various locations. This was a really nice Ranger. It had a lot of power and was so reliable as well. My dad loved to take it out or tow his boats around with it while I was out on a mission. My pop!!! Driving and Wheeling my Ranger!!!! That was so cool.

My stock 83 4x4 Ranger. I had just bought it this day:

Then I lifted it and added the lights in the grill and the light bar two months later:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dude Cat, awesome......:icon_thumby:

Jam, do that to it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Good luck on that one. The Rangers been around almost 30 years now. If you can think of it, someone has probably already done it.
I bet no one has sent one into space.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Dude Cat, awesome......:icon_thumby:

Jam, do that to it.
Thanks, Bro. I really do miss that truck. I had some really great times with it and it never left me stranded of ever had a leak anywhere in it. I took it to Moab 5 times and crawled with some of the best trucks I have ever seen. One time Peterson's Off Road mag was there and they took a few pictures of my truck. I never saw it in their mag. I even had a subscription to their mag!!!!! Darn....why take photos, ask me all about the truck, open the hood crawl under it and then not post a photo of it? 'Cause it was a Ranger and the big boys and their toys were there I bet!!!!!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Anyone want to chip in to send this kids Ranger into space???
Not really. It will probably cost millions, waste a Ranger, and then he won't have anything to drive.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not really. It will probably cost millions, waste a Ranger, and then he won't have anything to drive.
X2
We already have enough "trash" in space-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ZMan
    Forum Staff Member

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals