• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Having radio problems

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
So I'm having a few issues with my radio, speakers and sub. I have a Kenwood head unit, alpine sub and a dual amp. I just recently installed 4 kicker 6x8s. And ever since then I've been getting bad reception on the radio and my sub has almost no bass. Also the speakers them selves have no bass. I'm kinda stumped on this. :dunno: Any suggestions on what the issue is or how to fix it would be great!

ALegendNeverDies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"I can finally drive places that aren't paved!!"
How do you have the amp wired up and is it grounded to the battery of the body? Can you give my make and model of the speakers, amplifier, and head unit? I can try and help with some research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
The amps power wire is going directly to the battery, and the negative is grounded to the body. Everything was working great until I installed the speakers. I don't have the model info for everything now. I can get all of that later. I do know the radio is a Kenwood, speakers are kickers, and the amp is a dual brand.

Skirbykat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are the speakers hooked up through high level of the head unit? Are there filters hpf and lpf that need adjusted? Definitely do NOT ground speakers to chasis if you did.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
The radio does have adjustment for hpf and lpf. I've never messed with those. The speakers are connected to the factory wiring. And I'm not sure if they are hooked up through the high level of the radio. I'm not real familiar with the whole audio thing.

prymetime1

Reaction score
The amps power wire is going directly to the battery, and the negative is grounded to the body. Everything was working great until I installed the speakers. I don't have the model info for everything now. I can get all of that later. I do know the radio is a Kenwood, speakers are kickers, and the amp is a dual brand.
Hey bud, I am no pro either but if everything was working prior to u installing just the 6x8s...I'd go back and re trace to make sure the connections are all correct and intact. If u removed the head unit when u did the instal, the rca connections may have loosened up and thus not giving a good signal to ur amp and have low bass. Good luck with getting it back in order.

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
My next day off work I'm definitely taking the speakers out and checking the wiring. and doing the same for the sub, amp and radio. Ill probably buy another amp. The one I have isn't doing good

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
How do you have the amp wired up and is it grounded to the battery of the body? Can you give my make and model of the speakers, amplifier, and head unit? I can try and help with some research

Alright, my radio is a Kenwood kdc-bt755hd. My speakers are kicker 40cs684. The amp is a dual xpr520 and the sub is a alpine bass line 12. I hope all that info works for you. I tried messing with the radios hpf and lpf settings and it made no difference

ALegendNeverDies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks, I'll run some research and see if they are reacting funny.

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Awesome. Thanks man

ALegendNeverDies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
So I didn't really find anything with the equipment, some possibilities are corrosion in the speaker wire (test for continuity) or the speakers and subwoofer are arguing over who gets more power. I might drop by auto-zone or O'Riley's and see how your battery is and if it is good maybe run some research into a capacitor. I've been using 2 ohm speakers for a long time so I don't know a whole lot about installing caps.

Sent by Sean C. Slocum, II from North West Arkansas. Junior wrencher and fruit expert at edible arrangements

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
You did bring up a good point about my battery. it is really old. Might be worth having it tested.

ALegendNeverDies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Yeah, autozone and orileys for free tests and then we have a place local called battery outfitters and they normally have good batteries for cheaper than autozone or orileys.

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
I really could use a new battery anyway. I'll have it tested today.

ALegendNeverDies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Did you find the source of your problem

Sent by Sean C. Slocum, II from North West Arkansas. Junior wrencher and stoked for life

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals