• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heeeeeeelp!!!! 2.3

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
howdy yall, stumbled upon this site thanks to a member of FTE. anyways, my problem is i just bought a 92 ranger with the 2.3l. the guy who had it before me had the timing blet go out on him, and thank god this is a non-interference motor. He installed a new belt, and well, it would run, but horribly, and then die 15 seconds later, so i played with the cam timing a bit, and got it to where it doesnt feel like its working itself to death when i try to start it. only problem now is it wont start. im going to replace the fuel pressure regulator to see if it helps it any. but im wanting to know if theres a possibility, that the C.P.S. may not be installed correctly... or if im going in the complete wrong direction here?

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You may have the timing 180 degrees out. The crank needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke. Pull a spark plug out of cyl #1, like the camshaft up, and rotate the crank till you feel the pressure blow out of the hole with your finger and line it up then.

Did 92 have a distributor or is it coil packs?

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
coil packs both 'keys' on the crank and cam should be straight up when its in time if i remember right...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
92 is distributor less. get a book or just look around and find a how to on replacing a timing belt and start from there. it's not that hard, and "playing with it" is wrong. get the timing right and go from there. on a 92 the crank position sensor is what gets the siganl, it's not hard to install either, especially if you're doing a timing belt.

as for replacing the fuel pressure regulator, why? have you tested it? just throwing money at it is gonna get you broke before you get the truck running.

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i am working on a 93 2.3 with the same problem. but not timing troubles..... it wont start but when i spray starting fliud in the intake it runs till i stop spraying... any help is greatly appreciated

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i am working on a 93 2.3 with the same problem. but not timing troubles..... it wont start but when i spray starting fliud in the intake it runs till i stop spraying... any help is greatly appreciated
you want to figure out why you dont have fuel. check the simple things first. open the gas cap and have someone turn the key to on. you should hear the pump for a few seconds. if you cant hear the pump start checking the relay, fuse, inertia switch. if you can hear the pump then you want to make sure you have a good fuel filter. now you need a fuel pressure gauge to test the pressure at the valve on the fuel rail. this is what you are looking for. koeo 40, koer 30, koer vacuum line of regulator disconnected 40. you also want to turn the key off and our system should drop no more than about 8 pounds in 5 minutes

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You may have the timing 180 degrees out. The crank needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke. Pull a spark plug out of cyl #1, like the camshaft up, and rotate the crank till you feel the pressure blow out of the hole with your finger and line it up then.

Did 92 have a distributor or is it coil packs?

I have never changed the timing belt however this has always bugged me. do you need to do the step where you find TDC or if you line up the 3 marks on the pulleys with the 3 marks on the block does that set the TDC.

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
my timing is set right, the 92 is a DIS. however, ther is a new development, i pulled some spark plugs and the #3 plugs are dry, wheras all others are wet, and smell like fuel. so now im guessing my #3 injector is bad.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my timing is set right, the 92 is a DIS. however, ther is a new development, i pulled some spark plugs and the #3 plugs are dry, wheras all others are wet, and smell like fuel. so now im guessing my #3 injector is bad.
check #3 with a noid light and see if it is getting a pulse

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
check #3 with a noid light and see if it is getting a pulse
I do not have access to one of these, is there another way i can check? also got a new development, one of the coil packs is no longer getting power (replaced it, still dont work.)

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The coilpack issue is most likely a bad ignition control module. The auto parts stores will test them. have them test it a bunch of times because they can fail sporadically. make sure that you put all the screws for the icm back in. they are grounds and then truck will not run if they are not ALL installed.

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
The coilpack issue is most likely a bad ignition control module. The auto parts stores will test them. have them test it a bunch of times because they can fail sporadically. make sure that you put all the screws for the icm back in. they are grounds and then truck will not run if they are not ALL installed.
this is intreting, its missing 2 screws! ill go back to the "zone" and get some new ones. THANK YOU!!!! ill post again when i know further!

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
ok, news, and im NOT HAPPY. checked the ICM, it only had 3 holes for the mounting screws. and that didnt help. i switched out the passenger side coil with a new one. nothing. so after getting completely frustrated and on the verge of throwin things. i thought to myself "what if... what if that guy i bought it from was totally full of shit when he said he did a compression test???? what if im being an idiot taking his word for it, what if one of the cylinders is bad????" so i ran a compression test::shok:

#1: 95p.s.i.
#2: 95p.s.i.
#3: 100p.s.i.
#4: 0p.s.i.:icon_twisted:

yes zero. im not even gonna try to replace the head, im gonna find a good used motor and replace the whole thing. cause now, i have no idea what to expect, so i dont want to chance replacing the head and then find out the rings are toast. I thank you all for your help, it has come in handy. wish me luck!
:icon_hornsup:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wonder just for giggles if you have everything in order except for the bad comppression if put some Restore or a similiar product just to see if it does anything

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder just for giggles if you have everything in order except for the bad comppression if put some Restore or a similiar product just to see if it does anything

0 compression ain't gonna be helped by restore. Restore is a good product but not that good.:sad:
With 0 compression I would guess a broken piston, broken valve spring....maybe even a broken off valve. I wouldn't be too mad at the previous owner.......a 92 truck is 19 years old.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals