• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help decide which way to go for front 3" drop?

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, main reason I'm even doing the drop is so the back doesnt look like its sagging ass.

I got a D4 axle from a 92 explorer yesterday and I'm just going to bolt it in as-is and weld shock mounts to it and be done with it. this will obviously lower the rearend. Dont feel like going through all the crap with welding on new spring perches and such.

anyway, I'm trying to figure out which way to go for the front drop.

should I:

A. 3" DJM dreambeams
B. 3" lowering springs + drop shocks

and for either of these will I need a camber kit? I'm assuming with the dreambeams I wont really need an alignment but would be recommended but that with the lowering springs I'll definitely need an alignment.

pros/cons of one over the other? people say both retain a really good ride but that with the 3" springs the only way to keep the ride is with the drop shocks??

also, are you even able to buy the dreambeams by themselves to keep the cost down a little or is that only possible buying them used??

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
What year is your truck? Just fyi 2" coils are the only reliable drop springs on the market, 3" coils on an ibeamer would be unalignable. I sell all the ranger lowering components seperate check out my vendor forum for all of the links. Drop me an email brian@illusivefabrications.com if you have any other questions on the products.

Also I highly doubt that explorer rearend will be abolt in deal the ranger and explorer rearend mounting is completly different. The explorer rearend sits on top of the leafs vs the ranger which is under, but the spring sadles may be in a different location as well because, the explorers leafs go down under the frame vs. the ranger which is mounted outside the frame. Even if the pins on the leafs are the correct distance apart from another you will still have to correct the pinion angle.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its a 96 std cab ranger.

I know the 91-94 explorer rearend bolts in on top of the leafsprings just fine and then you just have to weld on the lower shock mounts as there's a guy on turboford.org that literally did just that to his 96 ranger and it worked perfectly.

drops the ranger down just as much in the rear as the 95-01 disc brake rearends but you dont have to deal with locking up the rear due to discs since the earlier ones are drum. sounds like a plan to me.

hell, here's a vid of his after he did the swap:
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/blackjackranger/?action=view&current=DSCF0801.flv

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just cut the factory coils........:annoyed: jk don't do that.

Dream beams are the only way to go to get 3 inchs. Or Belltech beams are great too. They maintain a more "factory" look underneath. But you should buy DJM beams and then trade me for my Belltech's because i need to bag mine badly!

Cheers

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea if you think you may ever bag or juice the truck go with DJM, Belltech beams are over priced anyways thats why I don't sell them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals