• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help deciding what f150 springs

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got a b2 with the 8" skyjacker lift and a 302, over the years the front springs have sagged quite a bit, I'm going to order some f150 springs just not sure if i should get the 6" or 8". seeing how they are so much stiffer, dont know if the 6" will do the job.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Don't swap in f150 lift coils, they are pretty stiff.

Instead go to the tech library and read this, much easier and alot cheaper too, plus you can dial in the levelness of your B2 side to side if its leaning for example.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/WasherCoilSpacers.htm

These can be ordered from Grainer Industrial Supply in a pack of 25 for $17. Now thats cheap :icon_thumby:

You shouldn't need more that about 1.25" worth of washers stacked.

emptyTTB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would not stack washers. thats something you do and never tell anyone about, like banging out your cousin.. springs sag out over time from being used, thats what they do. if they rode nice and had the b2 at the height you want, whats preventing you from ordering the same springs you have on?

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There are many on here with washers for coil spacers....no problems with them at all.

emptyTTB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and they use them because theyre either broke asses or too lazy to do things right. to each his own hoopty.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and they use them because theyre either broke asses or too lazy to do things right. to each his own hoopty.
not true....ive had trucks for some reaosn just not sit level in the front with brand new springs in them, and had to use washers to even it out, the trucks are heavier to one side then the other......

and im glad u have all the money in the world to throw at a truck unlike all of us broke asses that build trucks for a living

the weight of the v8 calls for springs that can do the job, some 4-6" fullsize coils should fit the bill

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i would not stack washers. thats something you do and never tell anyone about, like banging out your cousin.. springs sag out over time from being used, thats what they do. if they rode nice and had the b2 at the height you want, whats preventing you from ordering the same springs you have on?
Thats bull$heet. Yes we use them b/c they are cheap. But they are no less safe than any other method. It just so happens that it is an economical way to do something, without having to pay for overpriced mass marketed products that do the exact same thing and cost many times more.

Now that we know YOU wouldn't do it, lets focus on what we can do to help the OP. Whether that includes WASHERS or not.

Last edited:

dmc919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies, when i first put the lift on I had to put 1" worth of washers to level it out, now it's sitting a good 2" lower in the front after almost 4 years of having the lift. I would actually like a little stiffer spring too, I'll probably get the 6" f150 springs, Superlift brand.

emptyTTB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha! didnt mean to wrinkle anyones Depends.. want another acceptable option by the apparent standards?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so, then all guru of all knowledge truck, how do u make a truck sit level left to right after u lift them/if u have ever when the springs which are brand new allow ur truck to sit 1/3" lower on one side then the other, im curious to hear the UT MOST NEWBIE mechanic god we got here now lol

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
haha! didnt mean to wrinkle anyones Depends.. want another acceptable option by the apparent standards?
You just compared apples to oranges, good job, congratulations. I can't relate tennis balls to steel washers?

Washers have been used on TTB trucks for, well since forever, and I'm willing to bet money there hasn't never been an accident from doing so.

If you wanna waste money on something "better" and "safer", be my guest, you worked hard for your money. Don't go tellin' everyone though that they shouldn't do it, its been done a trillion times with a 100% success rate.

It is what it is, ask any member here on TRS that is using or has used the washer mod. I have and I'm still alive, and so are the millions of people that I drove past during the time that I had them beneath my coils.

Last edited:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
half the parts in a truck are help up with bolts and washers...guess washers arent strong enough to go on a part that holds your suspension on. i guess the spring retainer washer isnt strong enough. washers are a hell of alot stronger then rubber/poly spacers, and whats so bad about them? im glad they make 1/4" spacers to level out under the coils...o yea i forgot skyjacker makes em...and guess what they are friggen washers with a hex shaped hole. u must have a million doller rig, why pay more for something that is just as good if not better...the problem with washers? unwelded they can shift a tad and your stack wont totally line up...a cosmetic thing.

aint yall glad they dont use washer on important things like bridges? o yea i forgot:thefinger:

and btw i have the washers too...and i feel safe enough for my newborn to ride in it everyday

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic

d o u c h e b a g ! ! friggin newbs comin in here and telling people what not to do, makes me sick :thefinger:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
dam 18 post'ers:icon_rofl:

emptyTTB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hahaha! i never mentioned "safety" or "strength" in any of my posts.. you guys got that from legoms013's post.. and the tennis ball picture i found on failblog, it was me making fun of your ghetto washer stacking advice.. this has got way off topic. but, if your vehicle leans ungodly to one side left or right more than the other, maybe you should check for other things wrong first.. maybe bad body mounts, a bent coil bucket, maybe your fat ass bent the frame.. if everything checks out good and the body still leans, the appropriate thing to do would be to buy correct length/spring rate coils. the side that drops down would need a coil with more spring rate than the other side.. its really not a hard concept to grasp.. and you dont need an unlimited budget to build vehicles correctly... if all else fails, get a fat ass girlfriend to even things out :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals