• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help lowering 99 Ranger

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1st post guys and have done search, so please go easy...

I have a DD 99 Ranger 4cyl 2wd with 253,000 miles on it still with original clutch :) I have a lifted Chevrolet 3/4ton I drive on the weekends and just use the ranger to get back and forth intown for the better gas mileage. I would like to drop it a little bit. I am not looking to spend alot on it, so 4/5 DJM kits is out of the question! Looking for 2/3 inches of drop basically. What are my options and with that amount of lift + will I only need to change the alignment cams to keep things in spec? Thanks for any help and input...

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
djm 2/3 drop

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
cheap 3/4.....cut approx 2 turns off the top of the coilsprings(1 & 1/4 turn approx for 2") & cut an inch off the rubber bump-stops/flip the rear spring hangers....then get it re-aligned by using new alignment bushings

(this post is for entertainment purposes only!)

Last edited:

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies! Am I looking at a total horrible ride with cutting stock coils? It looks like the cheapest djm 2/3 I have found is about $300 and then another $100 or so for drop shocks...sound about right???

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Thanks for the replies! Am I looking at a total horrible ride with cutting stock coils? It looks like the cheapest djm 2/3 I have found is about $300 and then another $100 or so for drop shocks...sound about right???
A TRS member is selling DJM beams in the "Parts for Sale" Forum!!!!!!!!!!

Cut coils don't ride smooth...but don't ride terrible either.....

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah thanks doorgunner...I already contacted him and that kit has already sold :(

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your truck cannot use beams. It has control arms. I'd agree with the DJM 2/3 kit. It would ride better than cutting you stock coils. I had it for a couple years before dropping my truck more to 4/5, and had no problems at all. Drop shocks are recommended for a 2/3 but you could probably get by for awhile without them.

low~n~blue

February 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I agree with what is being said, I would advise you not to cut your coils. Its true that it will lower the truck but your ride will suck and as with coil lifts/drops they are subject to change with droop. I would just buy the kit and do it the right way, it will save you money in the long run haha

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't even notice the beam add, the guy I contacted actually had the coil/flip kit I needed but had already sold it...Oh well, guess I will have to start savin my pennies! I am going to need to do the drop shocks anyway as with 253,000 on stock shocks, they got zero life left!

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So is Springtech 2/3" drop kit junk? It seems alot cheaper price than going DJM...anyone have experience with it?

Polk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I cut 7/8 of a turn off the coils on my 2009 and got about 2" of drop. I think the ride actually improved! Before, the difference in spring rate between the front and back was so great that it gave the truck a very unbalanced feeling (yes, I know I am driving a pickup and that comes with the territory). Cutting the coils stiffened up the front a little bit, but it is definitely not harsh. 2" lowered front springs are also stiffer than stock, so what is the difference?

I also flipped the rear shackles and ended up with a little less than 2" drop on the back.

Overall, not only did the ride and appearance improve, my gas mileage on the highway improved by over 10%, going from about 25.6mpg (averaged over ~10,000 miles) to over 28mpg.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals