• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP theft alarm won't arm

H-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any help would be appreciated but I have an issue I can't Find on Google search. I found a 1996 Ford Ranger for about 2 years now and it wAs uipped with the power package cruise control key fobs and anti-theft system. the issue I'm having is pretty weird my anti-theft system won't arm when I push lock. it was working fine about 2 weeks ago then all the sudden one night I went out to lock it and it wouldn't lock luckily the next morning it did lock but it's been doing this back and forth for awhile now. it is not set off any alarms nor prevented the truck from starting I just want thE theft system to work in the event of an area so my truck doesn't get broken into. any help would be appreciated I mainly just need help trying to find the anti theft module computer in my truck a way to reset it. Thanks

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I think you are talking about two different things.

The electric door locks from the key or the door switches are controlled by a receiver and the cabin control module. The receiver tends to not work at over 100 degrees inside temp.

PATS (passive anti-theft systen) is the only OEM system Ford has used, with the blinking light in the instrument panel, uses an antenna near the ignition key and a different receiver (for your year) in the dash.

Are you sure the key fob battery is good and not wearing/worn out???

H-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have the passive system. Does the heat affect the control module because when I push lock on my key fobs or my door sometimes the system won't arm and illuminate the light. It will work at some times though

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The key fob system that unlocks/locks the doors and the PATS system are totally separate systems. The fob goes to a module (an RF receiver) that is behind the glove box. That module is connected to the cabin control module that locks and unlocks the doors and a controls a bunch of other stuff. And, in my case, with the windows up and the outside temp is over 100 the key fob on the 02 tends to not work (don't know why) and begins to work again after it cools down.

The PATS system with the rf key is completely different system and has been described a million times on this site and the web.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals